Quote:

Quote:

WIX, Fram, NAPA, etc... All of them utilize paper filter media. The manufacturing of paper filter media is not exact. As much as 40% of the filtering area of paper oil filters filter nothing at all, as in the filter is 40% blocked right out of the box.

Plus, how does paper respond to moisture? Right, it absorbs it. What does paper filter media do when it absorbs moisture from engine condensation and then it gets really cold outside. Yep! It freezes. Now your paper filter that was 40% blocked when new is now frozen and is really blocked. Now you have a completely worthless oil filter that's in bypass mode at cold engine start-up until it thaws out.

Do yourself a favor, do your engine a favor and throw out the paper oil filter. Then look for a micro-glass or better yet, a nano-glass oil filter. Previously only available in commercial and industrial applications, glass filter media technology has made it's way to the car and light truck market.

Seriously, research it.

Start here if you like: http://www.youtube.com/user/ckermit8

Lived in Buffalo Ny most My life (over 60 years) and NEVER heard of an engine failing because of a FROZEN oil filter. How far is this to be taken ?

I agree...sounds bogus to me. unless all you do is short trip the car anyway, then it's a possibility.

said paper will also absorb oil. I've seen "paper towels" that would soak up oil, but not water. we used them in centerless grinders for cutting OD on parts, and sometimes the machines leak oil into the coolant tanks when changing the diamond wheels. but I've not seen paper that soaks up water and not oil.

if you drive a car to temp, there's no water in the oil to freeze anywhere after you shut it down and it freezes outside.

that's like saying never, ever let your tank run below 3/4 before filling up, because all that air space allows humid air into your gas tank, where it will cool down overnight, condense, and then you get all kinds of water in your tank causing nothing but problems.

and filter ability vs flow is one of those trade-offs that you'll never get rid of. the better the filter is at trapping smaller and smaller particles, the less it's going to flow.

my HVAC system at home will collapse a brand new, high dollar, "micro-allergen air filter" because it's a huge airflow restriction. Toss in a cheaper "dust filter" and the airflow is where it needs to be.

**Photobucket sucks**