Quote:

Quote:

I have on the shelf an old unused 383/440 Magnum cam package and a Comp XE268H, but I would had liked to test something not so typical cam choice as those are. I always target at a rebuild for a little better performance

I am having for the 383 Magnum KB 400 pistons with 10:1 CR, othervise the engine is having pure stock parts, cast iron manifolds, points distributor, stock 383-4 Holley carb, etc. Heads redone 3 angle valve job, "Hemi" valve springs. That Challenger has A/C and PDB, so I would need some vacuum for the brake booster and some torque on the idle for smoothly running the A/C compressor.

This topic really has raised up a freshing discussion about the tailor made 6-pack cam Bob has developed and is selling, but the most important question for me is, is it the right choice for my 383 Magnum rebuild?

Basicly a same cam that works well in a bigger displacement engine, may not be the perfect choice for an engine with smaller bore and less stroke.

Above are my engine's specs and in the driveline I have 383-4 stock 11" converter and 3.23 gears. Weight of the car is about 3900 lbs with driver. Car will be used mainly for cruising, but perhaps sometimes for stop light races too, if some ricers are coming to challenge the Challenger and starts burning tires beside.

So what would be YOUR recommendation, what cam to use in this 383 Magnum? Give your vote!

The stock 383 Magnum is remembered for its legendary performance due in part to the same head and cam combination found on the 440 Magnum and 440 Six Pack engines.

Through talking with Bob on the phone it's my understanding that he does not sell custom cams based on individual needs, but rather THE cam he perfected; the Mr.6Pack grind. And what the Mr. 6Pack grind is based off of is the stock Magnum cam with some "variances" ground into it which is allowed as per Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race rules:

Quote:

Camshaft: The camshaft must be correct for the year, model, and horsepower claimed for the type of lifter (hydraulic or solid). Roller cams NOT allowed. Duration at .050" lobe lift must be within 1% of factory specs. Lift at the valve must be within 2% of factory specs. Engines must be able to produce at least 16.0 inches of vacuum at 1200 rpm. However, some factory-produced engines were not able to generate 16.0 inches in showroom condition, so those cars will be given a variance to the rule. Solid-lifter cams lift checked at zero lash. - Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race rules - link

For example, Bob told me that since the factory HD stamped steel rocker arms which he uses are not a true 1.5:1 rocker ratio, he has ground allowances into his cam so the actual valve lift and duration is what it should be.

However, even though Bob does not sell "custom" cams, I believe he uses his cam formula for a mechanical grind as well as one for 340s as well.

Again, if you're interested in his cam just give him a call. Bob is a true Mopar fanatic who's been racing his 69 A12 Super Bee since he bought it brand new in 1969. Also recall that through his early friendship with Ramchargers legend , Tom Hoover, is where Bob picked up his speed tricks and why many of the Mopar Purple Shafts you see today were actually track tested in Bob's own Super Bee.