Quote:

I don't think it's compression alone but it is the combination of compression and (as stated above) RPM...putting the torque peak too high in the RPM band. where compression kills ANY motor is when you detonate...and the more dynamic compression you have (remember RPM's role here) the less cushion you have...and if you're already well past the design limits...well, you don't need to have a PhD to figure out what happens next....something breaks...and if it don't break it fractures. And I can't tell you how many lucky [Email]b@stards[/Email] found cracked caps or webs on a routine "freshen up" that were time-bombs just waiting to blow.

I think you can run high compression and a more conservative cam and RPM cieling and be reliable, I've said it a hundred times that strokers ET on torque so make the most use of it through the middle, don't overcam it (which again put the torque peak too high) = higher than the bores/cradles can cope with on the high RPM power curve. Letting the VE drop off and lowering the peak power reduces the stresses the crank can induce into the block....period.

Build the target power (as noted above) as early (fewest RPM that get's there) as you can, ET on torque, don't chase that last MPH...just like the (as any old timer can tell you) the old wedge motor days. Back then we couldn't throw enough head on the blocks to break them, but these days (with several available heads capable of 700+hp) we can....but just because you can, doesn't mean you should

99% of you bracket race, maybe I'm over conservative but if I can go 9.81's turning only 6800 RPM RELIABLY, i can learn to have as much long-lasting fun as going 6.69 turning 7400, I can't tell you how many stroker guys say they short shifted by accident and the car only ET'ed a 10'th slower....again, you're ET'ing on torque!

With strokers any time you increase the stroke you are shortening the "ideal" or "natural" RPM band between peak torque and Peak Power, spin it up much higher than that and you're not only adding a lotmore stress, you're also getting diminishing returns relative to the same size engine with a bigger bore shorter stroke combo (that produces less piston speed = wall friction).

I will buy a low deck 4.500" bore Iron block as soon as World or Koleno wake up and give us one, but even then I'll limit the stroke to 4.25-4.30.

Lower the compression to less than 12.0 on race gas and or run E85 or alcholol My 518 C.I low deck stroker with 10.78 to 1 comp. ratio makes the exact same power(775 HP at 6500 RPM) on Oregon pump gas as my 527 C.I 12.8 to 1 comp. ratio motor does on 110 octane race gas

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)