Quote:

Quote:

I've decided that i'd rather have a crappier flowing head with quench for a nicer, more efficient engine than say, a possibly more powerful engine, thats less efficient, with an open chamber head and no quench.

"Possibly more powerful....that's less efficient" Not to bash but sounds like an oxymoron.

With the variance on combustion chamber from cylinder to cylinder (w/open chamber), bowl & template porting, exhaust valve update to 1.74, cubic inch size considered, using a flattop piston, and ultimately good quench................I'd be surprised to see an open chamber combination actually make better power. And then it would only be in the upper rpm range.

Not that anyone would ever waste the time to do an actual build/dyno comparison.

Well what happened to me was a comparison. With the 906 heads and KB 162's with just a freshened deck the car ran like crud and would barely hold a tune. I had other issues, but could tell that something was not right.

On the 2nd rebuild I knew better and I had the shop pull the motor apart and we figured out that the old combo was running 7.8:1 CR...

For the second build I gave them a set of 516s I had laying around and they put in the larger exhaust valve and ported them for better flow. they also cut the deck some and I had a true 9.2:1 CR. With a CC nostalgia .474 cam and a mighty demon 650 on a street dominator intake the motor was dyno'd and ran 396/430 hp/tq. I was happy as my target was 400 hp and the car runs great. So if you already have the 162's they can be made to work.

If I had to do it again I would go with diamond pistons and I would have hunted down a set of 915s. But my next build for the car will be a stroker 400.

'73 GK6 Challenger Rallye - 340 4-Speed