No need to get so sensitive, I just asked a quick question.
Did you make it a habit of selling cars you don't own or have possession of?

Doesn't seem like a good business practice to me. There would be no need to smooth things over if you just did things the right way in the first place.

Maybe this in the next new thing

Sean I am just writing down what many others are thinking, its not my reputation on the line...this is being discussed on a public forum you know

Dave

Dave,

you are attacking my character and my business practises in a public fourm without even having all the info, without even knowing me, or knowing the nature of this deal, so yes, I'm a little sensitive about that... No one appreciates being slandered by someone who does not know the facts..

In this case I'm not selling a car I don't own, in the context you're implying. I'm brokering a deal on a classic car... it happens every day with real estate, stocks, commodities... funny how when it's all of a sudden a mopar, it's now "bad business practice"

There's a select group of people out there who wish to remain annonymous in business transactions for many, many reasons... these would include rock stars, politicians, dignitaries, etc.... they have companies like mine, source cars they'd like to own, broker deals so they can deal in private with a source they trust... I buy the car through my company, they buy it from my company. So there's only one buyer really, just by way of two contracts... I take the risk and responsibility for the purchase process. I get calls every week from people looking to buy classic cars but unsure of the transaction process so I handle it for them, everything from inspection to negotiating , to shipping and customs clearance, those cars also funnel through the same channel 1 buyer two contracts... I act as the "face" of the sale on behalf of another. Some clients pay a commision, some a flat rate and others a mark up as any business would do...

Now consider the legal part... Contracts and deposits exist for only one reason... to legally bind and secure a deal, so the next stage of a transaction can be put into motion.... they become especially important in deals where the monetary value is very, very large... mainly due to the fact that money needs to be pulled from multiple sources or large investments or off shore funds need to be cashed... that takes time and sometimes a considerable amount of fees... Once I secure a deal by way of a deposit and contract, I'm in a legal position to enter into a contract for the resale of those goods, whatever they may be... no wrong doing, no bad business practise...

Would you also say I'm involved in bad business practise when a person consigns a car with me for resale? Becuase I'm now selling a car I don't own? In that case, you're questioning every dealer in the world....

Some people would just prefer to let others handle the business end of a deal for them...you've brought my character into question becuase I do that for them, doesn't seem right does it....

so to answer your question, yes I sell cars I don't own...but not in the manner you are suggesting.

I take pride in my business, I've been a car guy all my life, I'm hands on in the trenches restoring these things every day, and I consider myself an honest stand up person.. I get several calls from people asking advice on restoring buying or selling cars and I try to answer all of them to the best of my ability so that their experience with these cars is as pleasureable as mine... If you take shots at me or my business for doing the things I do, I'm going to set you, and the record straight...

Can we drop this now, since everyone is probably sick do death of another guy whining about a dealer (flipper, whatever)....

get over it, it happens

Last edited by smac77; 08/05/10 11:47 AM.

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com