Quote:

I wasn't planning on getting back into this..

I am thankful for all the companies that have put in time and money so I can make my cars look like they did 40 years ago(or so).
There wouldn't be an old car hobby as we know it if it wasn't for people or companies recognizing our needs.
If a person doesn't have enough brain power to know what is real and what is fake, they have no business getting into old cars ..or anything else. We've become a world of "pass the buck" and don't except responsibility for our own actions.

Lumping dishonest people with others(like me) that just like to have a "period correct" car really is unfair. As with anything, when it becomes valuable.. the riff-raff come out.

If we follow the logic represented to it's conclusion, there shouldn't be any restored cars being given awards because of FAKE paint marks, interior, trim, tires, paint and so on.
Just survivor type cars should be accepted. Regardless of condition.

just my penny's worth

Good point.. However, if I am reading this correctly, then only those with the "secret handshake" should be allowed to enter this realm of hobby car ownership(?). There are many upstanding folks who don't yet have the knowledge, yet have all of the enthusiasm(and $) and more than those of the "inner circle". Even the most omnipotent were all once "rookies".

Do we just chalk it up to "caveat emptor", or do we do our best to make it so that documents that are a crucial part of determining provenance, (and in some cases value), are ferreted out as fakes and subsequently frowned upon?

I am not particularly siding with anyone here, but I am kinda leaning in the direction that it's best to leave those items alone. if someone wants to make a sheet for his/her own personal enjoyment who am I to say anything about it? I guess the problem lies with the fact that if truly undetectable items like this exist, then it casts a shadow of doubt upon all documentation. That, in itself makes it a bad thing, in some respect. If you remember, it was the block stamping that was/is so prevalent among the Corvette crowd, that really put a damper on the "numbers matching" status of all collector Vettes.

MB