Quote:

If we look at the three last 1971 Hemi Challengers built only one has a Shaker Hood and the very last 1971 Hemi Challenger built has the performance hood and so does the second last. All three cars were built in June and the last Hemi Challenger having a June 16th build date.The third last Hemi Challengers known to be built has a Shaker Hoods that has the Raised portion at the front of the hood with NO D.O.D.G.E on it. It has crush zones and the 1971 Style bolts.

That would be the shaker hood we're calling the second version, which means that IF the third version was factory installed on any cars, it would have happened after that June ?? build date and would also not be on a hemi car.

Quote:

I have never seen any Challengers in 1971 Production that ever did not have the raised portion at the front of the Shaker Hoods.

I haven't either. (I have seen some obvious clones at car shows though.) Here is the quote where Daniel noted the possibility of factory installed third version shakers...
Quote:

There were three styles of Challenger Shaker hoods, (subtle differences) all 3 will interchange freely on any year 70-74 Challenger but 100% correctness will vary per the year application.

1. Style #1. 1970 which has no under hood "crash wrinkles" and a tri star emblem on the peak of the hood.
2. Style #2. 1971, same as above but with "crash wrinkles" added.
3. Style #3. VERY late 1971, new style flat front. These hoods are generally considered over the counter crash replacement parts but there are a couple of existing examples that look convincingly factory original.

Here is a similar quote that Daniel made After the first one...
Quote:

There are three different Challenger Shaker Hoods

Early 1970 (Before early to mid October, 1969) with NO crush zones w/raised boss for triangle emblem

Late 1970 (after April 15th) and 1971 with crush zones w/raised boss for triangle emblem

Late 1971 (or more likely over the counter part) with crush zones but NO raised boss for triangle emblem

I haven't seen those cars myself, so my suggestion of the possibility that the third version may have been factory installed is based Only on Daniels first quote. He's the one that saw the cars. It would appear that in Daniels later second quote, he felt that those cars (regardless of their original appearance) probably had over the counter hoods. Since I haven't seen the cars, am going by Only what Daniel has said, and I think his second (more recent) quote should take precedence, I'm changing my shaker hood post by deleting any reference that the third version shaker hood was possibly factory installed. At least until the cars themselves, or further information presents itself.

Quote:

The April date that is floating around is the date that Chrysler release the information to the Dealership saying you can now order a Shaker hood on your car and receive it. I know of a 1970 440-6 Challenger that received its Shaker Hood on April 10,1970 according to the fender tag.I believe this car was on hold to receive the Shaker Hood when the Hoods came back into production.This Challenger was ordered in the late fall of 1969.

I've heard of other cars production being held up due to parts availability also. I've heard many times that the Scheduled Production Date is only a scheduled date, and is not set in stone. The actual date could vary. To be on the safe side though, I'll go ahead and change the shaker availability date to Apr 10th. It's pretty amazing that this car was being held for a shaker hood, while other cars that had been ordered with shakers were being built with the standard performance hood. Maybe it was ordered by somebody with some influence?

Quote:

Daniel Banker,Galen Govier and I talked quite a bit about Shaker Hoods but never ever put our information together. There is a period of time when Chrysler did not put Shaker Hoods on Challenger,but I know of 5 cars that received hoods in this time segment. 3 Challengers in Dec. and 2 in February. Same date in Feb. and two Days in Dec. one day apart. I wrote this information down back in the early eighties and never looked to see if the hoods had crush zones or not or were the 1970 Style or 1971 Style.It was just not that important back in 1980. The data plates said the cars got hoods.

Yes, I remember you and Daniel talking about this before. (so that everyone else in this thread can keep up) Here's what was said...

Daniel Banker
Quote:

There seems to be NO 1970 N96 Challengers known to exist that were built between October 11th, 1969 and April 15th, 1970. I have seen a few examples but they NEVER have a Broadcast Sheet or Documentation.

hemicar1971
Quote:

from memory there were 5 cars that got shaker hoods between Mid Oct. till April 10 when production was to begin again. If I remember correctly there were 3 in Dec. and 2 in Feb.The Dec. cars were two on one day and one on another around the 5-6th.The Feb.cars were on the 21st or 22nd. build date.

Daniel Banker
Quote:

That's very interesting. I have never seen a single 1970 Challenger N96 car built between 10-11-69 and 4-14-70 that had a Broadcast Sheet or Window Sticker to back it up. I'm not saying that there were none built, rather I'd love to find out if there are any out there that are legit.

hemicar1971
Quote:

Daniel I am not sure if I still have the information about what cars exactly got the shaker hoods in Dec and Feb. I believe I have sent a list of 1970 Hemi Challengers,serial numbers only that I collected from 1977 till about 1992 to Ola Niellson for his registery.I can try to see if I can find that list and send it to you if you like,not sure if you still are into that 1970 Hemi Challenger stuff since you sold your wheels.

hemicar1971
Quote:

I have seen 1970 Challenger that did not come with a shaker that have had the hole in the fire wall from the factory,just a mistake at the production plant,but there are a lot of mistakes,remember they were only cars back then to someone working on the line.I have also seen options on the fender tag and not on the broadcast sheet and vise versa.

If the fender tags were fakes, the build dates would have been randomly spread, not grouped into two nice groups. It's unlikely that the fender tags were fakes, because the dates match up fairly well. It doesn't seem like the line worker would stamp the fender tag without putting the right hood on. Did those 5 cars have the shaker hoods on them when you looked at them? Does anyone know where these cars are today? Possibly found some hoods in the warehouse, or prototype hoods for the second version? Seems odd that these 5 cars would get built, while the Apr 10 car you mentioned earlier was waiting. Maybe these cars had been waiting also? Executive cars/promotional cars? I imagine it would be very educational to thoroughly go over any/all of those 5 cars. Were all of the 5 hemi cars?

Quote:

There are many on this board that have May built 1971 Challengers that received Shaker Hoods from the factory. Tell us what hood you received on your car.

I'm thinking all the May 71 build shaker cars should have the second version shaker hood. (My own challenger is not a shaker car, August 69 build standard flat hood JH car.)

Tav