Challenger hoods certainly were a complicated lot.
I am curious about a couple statments made regarding these.
First the TA hood.."Also optional after 4-13-70 until the end of 1971 production on 340+4 barrel,etc...". I know of a 1971 Challenger RT 340-4 speed ordered May 71 with a TA hood
Still with the car is the letter from Chrylser Corporation stating that he could not get the TA hood at that time, instead he ordered the shaker hood. Opposite to the urban myth about non availability of shaker hoods being replaced by TA hoods. This particular vehicle is an 11,000 original owner car.
I plan on getting a photocopy of this when I am there next month and will post with date.
Also regarding the "third" version shaker hood.
I agree that they did have crumple zones, no raised area for the fratzog emblem, used 3/8 bolts but did "not" use Dodge letters.
The only style of this hood I have ever seen, and I have owned 2 in the past, were NOS, over the counter, call it whatever you like.
I have never seen one that was proven assembly line installed, but I could be wrong. Yes they were eventually installed on cars by owners, but were referred to, back in the day, as bast*rd hoods because of their configuration.