A major problem is people gaming the system for new roofs. “Hail damage.” I’ve watched the shady companies out on these new roofs. Some have to be reworked within months. From what I’ve been told, you can sign something and the roofer has a way to then sue the insurer for not covering the roof. Like they have a right to represent you and they have a lawyer well versed in this bs.

I know for a fact a next door neighbor went nuts in a roofer that said he would have to pay because the roof was just worn out. The guy was yelling about how it should be “hail damage” and he’d find somebody to get it done. In the end, the guy that got yelled at did the job and it was covered. Somehow. I’ve seen about 6 of these “hail damage” roofs go in on my street in the last two years. Somehow the hail missed my house??? But every one around me got it. Hmm.

I had my long time roofer out for a tune up, a legit outfit with a commercial division I’ve had on my job, and the lead guy said he won’t mess with people wanting him to scam a roof for them. This group isn’t the type that has call backs either.

I’ve come to view insurance as a lay away plan for new roofs. Somebody has to pay for all this nonsense. Like the guy that painted his brick house white and it looked bad because the roof was brown. He boasted to me one day that he was “lucky it had hail damage” so he got to switch it to black. Convenient, huh?

I want my fair share