I am done at the end of this year. 36 in law enforcement, with two terms as Sheriff. The last few years have been the worst, with all the stuff going on.
I will just turn 63, and plan to draw immediately. The difference in waiting to FRA is a hundred thousand dollars in my pocket when the FRA day arrives. Do i want a few more bucks then, or do i want a few less bucks, but 100k in hand.?

If i dont make it to FRA that money is gone. In my view the only person who should hold out are those who will need as much as possible to keep them in dog food and government cheese.

The SS i draw will work for me, and also help with not needing to withdraw from my IRA. Collect early, collect late; it’s the same amount around age 81. One finance guy showed that post 81, is when more money is doled out after then, for those who gambled and waited.

Just as with my DROP option, versus getting a few more bucks monthly- The nest egg i get at the end of the year would take twenty five years to catch up to. That doesnt count the investment return, so it could be the extra money may never catch up. Same with SS. Save that money as it comes in early, the larger amount drawn may never match up.

Everyone has different needs. Sadly the less a person needs the income to get by, more choices they have.

'70 Challenger R/T 383
'16 Hemi Durango SSV (work vehicle)
'15 Ram Police SSV