well here I go again.

looking in the stash of engine parts I have I noticed almost all of the early to late 80s #302 heads are very poor castings with lots of core shift and bad looking port openings. some better than others with not so rectangle openings and casting slag all over, bowls look bad with seems mid way from core shifting when cast.

the couple #714 heads are from 90-91 engines and would be the last of the pre-mag heads produced when magnum came out 92-93

the #714 casting are better looking untouched than any of the #302 I have on hand. nice bowls not much slag, better looking machine work nice even/matching size on port openings ect..

so bust them down and off to machine shop. new OEM 360 valves and bare #714 casting heads in hand. 2 weeks later I pick them up and do they look good so far.

I had them back cut the 1.88-1.60 valves the unshroud the head around the valves a little, with 3 angle on intake and 5 angles on exhaust. now to do a little clean up in the bowls and blend the machine cuts into the bowls with a gasket match to intake and headers.

cleaning up the Holley Street dominator as it works really well and has small port/runners and will add the 650DP to it.

having the block tanked-bore .060-cam bearings-installed

new OEM roller lifters/PR/rockes new set comp 901-16 springs

going with a Hughes roller cam but have not decided one which one yet.

if my math is correct this will put me at 328 CI and only 12 CI shy of 340 CI and big valves with small ports/runners should have good velocity filling the cyls.

I am looking at a SER0813ALN-14

smooth idle
high vacuum
short dur@.050
high valve lift
wide LSA 114*

will be swapping in a 833OD turning 3.23/26 tire while I am at it

oh and I cant forget to mention the HIGHLY CONTRVERSAL installing the pistons backward changing pin offset/rod angle..... yep I have done it many times.

any cam suggestions?

yes typo, sorry should be a #4 not #3 SER 0814ALN-14

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 05/07/21 08:49 AM.