Okay, i dont get in here much these days, i play in the general section as this one is just too goddamn depressing for me. But this is an area where i have spent some time... a LOT ov time...

(enough time to know to just bite the bullet, toast the passing ov the retro look, and go 18", but i still know 15" stuff)

Firstly, Mitch is always on about the 16" options, but i dont see it as a viable one, not anymore. There was a time when 16" worked, it was a short window ov about 2 1/2 months somewhere in the late 80's, but 17" became the game pretty much instantly. There IS one really good excuse to go 16" though, and thats if you still wanna fool people that its stock. Its not hard to concoct a 16" 'stock' rim, and honestly, VERY few guys will notice its not 15". I've seen this time and time again. Hell, i've seen staggered fittings (16" front, 15" rear), where no one noticed. The only way they'll notice is because even a 255/50-16 looks really short on a big car. Very expensive route, but if you got the coin and REALLY need that stock look...

Tom, i know you and i have been over this a hundred times, but its been so long i forget. Have you actually run the Maxxis tires? I have not heard a single good thing about them from a user yet, except from SUV people who dont drive their rigs. They're supposedly (despite ratings) hard and noisy. Oh, and heavy.

On actual 15". Check out Kumho. Ov all the places after years and years ov search, it was my local tire guy that found these. Kumho makes a V-rated 295/50-15 (and maybe other sizes too?). Its an Ecsta, and it looked a lot better than the Maxxis for performance use. Price was reasonable too. Thats as good as its going to get on a 'public' tire. If you try, you can fit a 295 all the way around on an E-body, and certainly many B-bodies. Even if not, it might be worth some minor mods, as it will look MEAN. Like, vintage stock-car mean. This is where i was going with my last Challenger... at least until i could afford the Forgelines and 335's...

And then i found (sorry, forget who linked it to me) there is a whole WORLD ov performance 15" racing tires. There is one Tire store/chain/dealer (again, forget), out ov California i think, that has a solid handful ov options for 15" racing tires. Yeah, you'll have to drive illegally, technically, but whats worth more, breaking some stupid law... one that likely no cop is going to call you on, or saving your car, or life? EASY decision. Also, most ov these options will be bias ply. Not as good an option, but still... guys race expensive cars on these things. How bad could it be? I remember Goodyear had a few racing options, Hoosier had a few good ones, there were more common brands and also some i've never heard ov.

I want to clarify that the above options were all treaded tires, so to the casual observer or cop, they're a legal tire.

I've also now (finally) seen the Mickey Thompson 15" tires on an autocross car... a particularly nasty looking road race 67 Camaro. He said so far, in and around town they felt good, but had not yet raced on them. He has since, but i've not run into him to ask.

So... there are quite a few more options in a HP 15" tire than most people think exist. Enough to let you keep those widened rallyes or Super Coupe rims on the ol' girl. Dig... and ye shall find.

67.png