Originally Posted By SANDYinNS Canada
Just been busy enough to read not reply . The Hemi challenger isn’t mine it a project I have been working on for a few years . Things change in the original build but one thing I bought early on were 4 no’s 15x7 ralley wheels and although we upgraded the brakes to larger frt and rear disk they fit the 15 Ralleys .

I don’t care so much about white letters but the car owner has some strange ideas about top speed runs .... I just want the car to somewhat safe at speed . It has dynoed at 750 hp and is an all aluminum fho hemi 727 with a gear vendors and 3:23 gears it is still a 70 challenger but the real top end will be limited to the driver . If it was my car I’d go to the 17” ralleys

In triple digits speeds these things get to be a handful for any sustained amount time. A 150 blast down a strip is for a few seconds at top speed is entirely different than 120 for 5 minutes. I would think that H rated tires may be fine. SAE speed rating tests the tire at the target speed for an hour at 100*. That's more than I'd imagine the driver, and the car, would be up to. Maxxis, MT SR, and Hoosier Pro Street can do this. If skinnier tires are okay, the V rated ones higher up in the thread may be okay. The Avons can take him into Z rated territory. He also could look at Hoosier Circuit Racing wet tires that have a street appearing tread. However, these may not have a d.o.t. stamp which could be a problem if he has street inspections to meet. IMO, if he has sprung for a 750 hp Hemi, then $400 each for Z rated tires is chump change. Tires and brakes are consumables. He can't cheap out on them because they are.

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By TC@HP2
Originally Posted By MRGTX
I don't know anyone in the US of A who is running these but they look AMAZING. Vintage style, sticky compound, street legal tires...slightly limited in sizes but they do offer some 60 series choices that could work (245/60/15)...yeah, 80 treadwear rating...but still laugh

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Those are the unreasonably priced tires I mentioned above. $400 each in the size you mention.

That is because these are the Z rated racing tires that just happen to have a d.o.t. rating that I mentioned earlier.

They are popular for the kit Cobra crowd for period correct look and ultimate grip. You can find them state side at Roger Kraus Enterprises on the west coast or Frisby Preformance Tire in the mid west.

I duuno if I'd call an all weather tire a "racing tire that just happen to have a d.o.t. rating" but whatever. thing is, it is there and if someone wants to do stupid speeds with a 15" tire well, you gotta pay the man.

If you read into the description far enough to see that they call this an "all weather" tire than you also read that they are a "road legal competition" tire and that they use "competition compounds". You may have also noticed that these tires are listed as an "approved 1B permitted race" tire in the UK, which means it is the equivilent of a Hoosier d.o.t. compliant SCCA competition tire. Maybe your cherry picking your points, maybe you're just a lazy reader and stopped once you found your point, but, as you say...whatever.