Originally Posted By Mopar Mitch
IMO, the problem with 17"-18" etc is the short sidewall... intended for better cornering/steering/handling response. Cars with monster BB engines -- especially a heavy Hemi -- need more sidewall to carry the weight, as well as through the corners. Short sidewall tires are not forgiving to the weight demands of a front-end heavy BB car.

You could consider a 16" and run 255-50-16 tires an minimum 8" rims.

The 17x8 or 17x9 YearOne replica Mopar rims do look pretty good. You could run 275-40-17 up front (preferably on the 9" rim), as well as a 305 or 315 on the rear ( a little pinched but will fir.. I've seen it). the YearOne rims have the correct backspacing to fit front and rear... I suggest staying with their 9" rims front and rear.

As everyone knows, the choices of 15" are so limited. I run BFG T/A 255-60-15 front, 275-60-15 rear, both on 15x8 vintage minilite road race rims... these are my cruising tires... rides/handles just fine.

I also run BFG Comp 255-50-16 on vintage minilite road race rims, 16x8 front and rear... for track lapping events... handles fine.

Eventually, I'll be getting 18x10 (or 10.5-11 wide) rims and run 275-35-18 200 compound tires for track events.

Unless you're running track events, the choices of 15" tires are OK for cruising... even at 245-60-15 fronts as the smallest you'd want to go.

I don't think you're wrong on anything you've said here but I'd like to offer a couple of (hopefully helpful) counter points.

1) as for big block cars needing the extra sidewall...I get your point but the question comes down to the goals of the driver. Sidewall flex isn't always the preferred way to manage suspension compliance, especially in cornering as any sidewall deflection will come at the cost of contact patch. Yeah, the extra sidewall usually gives a more comfortable ride but it's very seldom going to help any car get through corners. Before buying tires/wheels, we need to check the load rating...then tune the rest of the suspension to taste.

2) I'd say NO to 16" wheels...they're a good compromise for looks and more modern sizes but they're also pretty un-loved in the performance car world. They were probably "in style" for an even shorter amount of time so market support for 16" wheels may not be as good as 15" just a few years from now.

3)YearOne replica Mopar rims- ehh...100% personal taste but they do not look great to me. I really wanted to like them but after seeing them in person, they were just "ok" IMO if you squint. Lots of folks do like them but I'd strongly urge the OP to see them in person before buying.

As for your choice of 15" Minilites on the 'Cuda... flawless taste, sir. If I had the money, that's exactly the route I'd go. laugh

Last edited by MRGTX; 07/05/18 09:20 AM.