Originally Posted By geo.
Anyone admit to running 15" hoosier DOT marked tires on the street?
I'm thinking of the autocross, and road race tires, but I think there are oval-track DOTs also.
Many racing slicks don't hold air for long periods, do these?
I know we don't plan to drive our classics in the rain, but stuff happens!
So how are the hoosiers?
Any greater tendency to pick up road debris that can cause punctures?

In reverse order.
All R-comps will pick up extra everything from the road. Pebbles to glass,you name it, it will stick on especially once they get a little heat in 'em.

I ran Hoosier Street TDs for autocrossing. 245/45-15 bias ply on Circle Racing spun aluminum rims. Very fun and forgiving of overdriving. That also makes them difficult to drive to their max potential as its hard to detect he best slip angle. Dave Mapes and I ran them back to back against a set of Toyo RA1s in the same size and rim. We both ran better times on the Toyos.

Only had the Hoosiers on public roads once, for a couple miles or so, may be less. The sidewall is thin and the tires are very light. Unless the paving you'll be on is in top condition, these tires are really not appropriate for public roads.

I've driven other DOT R comp tires to and from events - ones that are heavier constructed. Definately some do have more of a tendency to follow road surface than a street tire - especially if there is some toe out in the alignment. My Yok 008s used to drive me nuts on the NJTPK, but in retrospect part of that was the alignment.
Toyos RA1s are decent in the rain. The 888 which I switched to recently isn't supposed to be quite as good in that respect. But the 888 is available in 235/50 and requires less negative camber.

tire-debris-cropped-philly_052006_sm_179.jpg
Some of the pebbles stuck to the left tire visible in this photo of the car at the starting line. RA1

IMG_5082.JPG
You can see the send and pebbles sticking to the very worn and old RA-1 in this close up. Taken at my garage - not at an event so the tires were not hot.

IMG_5758.JPG
R888 at NJMP track day

143999444-L.jpg
RA1s, Autocross in rain