Originally Posted By Luis Zavala
So I bought a Superbird about two months back and it was overheating a little so It turned out the radiator had a small leak and when I drained it to inspect it had gunk clogging it up. I sent it out to get a new cooler 4 row core and should be ready for pick up in the next hour or two.

I also researched and found a lot of reccimendations to use the following:
“50/50 mix of water/antifreeze,....again I'll recommend the Zerex G-05 brand antifreeze (just 1 gal. the rest water, should be close to 50/50) with 8-10 oz. of Redline Water Wetter added,(Autozone).”

Would that be the best to use? If so then for the water mix would it be regular water or would it have to be distilled?

Having built more than a few BBlk and HEMI Daytonas and Superbirds from stock to 600+ HP strokers, I've dealt with all the heat issues, assuming your fuel mixture isn't on the lean side, if your running stock exhaust manifolds, check the heat riser, flush the block/hoses/etc, as far as the radiator I prefer the 5 row micro tube core stuffed into either stock/aftermarket repro 26" tanks, for thermostats, 180 degrees is a good start, make sure your lower hose has a spring in it, I usually run the Zerex G-05 (that's where you probably picked up the recommendation?)50/50 mix, water/distilled/DI/RO, and I find the Red Line (8-10 .oz) water wetter is good for another 10-15 degree decrease in running temp, also make sure all the internal nose seals are in place as well as the foam radiator top/bottom tank seals, factory shroud, and if you still have the factory clutch fan, ditch it in favor for a 5-7 blade fixed factory fan (for all those purist/clutch fan advocates, the factory had a recall in late 69 early 70 for all Birds to have the clutch fan replaced w/HD fixed blade because of overheating issues)make sure the blade sits at least 50-75% inside the shroud...

To test how effective your nose seals are, at idle your airflow/suction should be able to hold a piece of standard 8X11 copy paper against the front lower grille with no assist from you, if it can't, work on the seals/shroud/fan blade until it can...

Mike