Joel-

Thanks I know that the pinion will rotate up under power. I am not asking about setting pinion angle. Under load the pinion angle and crankshaft angles will be parallel- that is a given.

My question is more about the driveline angle- in a production car a line through the crank and a line through the pinion will be parallel but the crank will be offset above the rear. The offset in only one axis (vertical) makes the u-joints work so the needle bearings get used and don’t get stuck, smashed , whatever.

In a purpose built race car the angles are also parallel under load but instead of being two lines that never intersect they are on exactly one line- the transmission is aimed directly at the pinion.

I am not another non search function dummy asking how to set my pinion angle. That’s easy and I have graduated to setting my driveline angle. I am building motor & trans mounts and setting the motor back some. I am engineering the angles not working with any angles or installed heights except the oil pan has to be high enough and the air cleaner has to be low enough.

Assume that under load in both scenarios the pinion is 3° up and the crank 3° down. In one scenario the driveshaft is also at 3° because I built the car more like a tube chassis race car and in the other scenario the driveshaft is at a slightly greater angle to make sure the universals actually do something.

At least that’s my understanding of how the angles work in production vs race cars? If I knew it all I wouldn’t be posting.

Thanks