Originally Posted By furious
Originally Posted By demon
I have driven 75-79 full time 4wd Dodges forever, and never had a single wheel bearing issue. The bearing setup is like an early version of the wheel bearing that almost every vehicle has been using for 25 years. In fact, having the grease fitting makes them better than the 94 and
newer trucks in my opinion.
If one was to install a part time transfer case, and leave the full time front axle, you would have almost the equivelant of the 94 and newer trucks and maybe gain a bit of fuel mileage.

I haven't even taken a wheel off this truck yet, working on the cab and bed, but that is one big nut on the end of the front axle! I stuck an 1 1/2 socket up there and it wasn't even big enough.

I am going to go through the brakes all at once, but was curious about that big nut.

Trust me on this one...get a service manual and a parts book for this project. It will save you more money than it will cost. They show up on e-bay and else where and you can watch for the best deal while working on the body. Many of the parts sold on e-bay and elsewhere are still stocked by the original part #s. As stated earlier, I have owned and maintained my Truck since 1978...then in 2013 this gotta do it restoration Truck comes along and I find out quickly how much I don't know. I did not do the major work on it, but did source 90% or so of the parts. Here's a link to that completed Truck:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2469227

Last edited by 4x4 Roundup; 04/08/18 12:26 AM.

WANTED-- DEAD or ALIVE:
'70 Duster--- VS29H0B274908-----UPDATE---ENGINE BLOCK FOUND---Still looking for the B-5 car.
'79 Power Wagon W14JE9S137761 or 763