Originally Posted By ruderunner
Lots of people trash talk the NP203 case but other than weight it's not a bad unit. However it does only fit a couple transmission which in your case is not a problem.

What is more of a problem with the 70's full time trucks is the front wheel bearings. Trouble prone and a pain to work on. Swapping to 80-93 knuckles is the preferred method BUT, they are a different lug pattern so new wheels and rear shafts go along with the swap.

You don't have to change things just keep this in mind.

Thank you, I prefer to leave it in there as I doubt it has been abused to bad since this old truck only has a little 318-2 but I haven't gotten to that part yet.
Originally Posted By Mr onetwo
If you change the wheel bearings(if bad) in a full time axle and grease them per IOM they will last forever.Check the slack in the chain of the 203...strong TC except for chain play.

I have read that about the chain and plan on learning about it, thnaks.
Originally Posted By larrymopar360
Originally Posted By bbtrux
Id find a running rusty 91-93 truck. Use the engine, trans, transfer case and maybe driveshafts ,then swap 80-93 knuckles and eliminate the full time garbage.
Full time "garbage"??
I think it will be just fine for me. I have a 2003 44wd Ram 1500 that gets used when I actually need a pickup.

Originally Posted By 4x4 Roundup
[quote=Mr onetwo]If you change the wheel bearings(if bad) in a full time axle and grease them per IOM they will last forever.Check the slack in the chain of the 203...strong TC except for chain play.

iagree I have a '79 4x4 Roundup Powerwagon that we purchased new in Nov.'78, now has 110,xxx miles on it, no problems thus far, but, the bearings have been greased religiously. I pump grease in until the old grease starts oozing out the backside. The transfer case chain has some stretch, but not enough for a tear down for that only... twocents
Wow, that is a nice looking truck, that helps to motivate me. Yours is the fancy one right, thus the four headlights? When I got mine I thought someone had put a 72 grille on it but read that the low eline custom had the two headlight grille. Right?