Thankfully I don't have to deal with this nonsense as my grandfathers car was built in 68 for the 69 model year. Since I had to call up ECS yesterday to order some more stuff, I had Charlie put me in contact with Dave there since he does the VIN stickers to see what he said being he does this for a living.

Here is what he had to say about it......He got a chuckle at the direction this talk was headed. He said the date listed on the tag had more to do with NHST 49 CFR 567 - certification and US Law. He said you guys try to define your entire research with Chrysler related parts and internal certification and it really has nothing to do with the standards set by the factory. Every manufacturer has to comply with the standards set by the SAE & NHTSA requirements. (hope I got that alphabet soup in the right order) You have to know use the DMV & SAE Laws in conjunction with factory protocol otherwise you're just guessing.

Like I said, either way it doesn't matter to me as it does not apply to my vehicle since my car was exempt from this standard so I have no dog in the fight but it was nice to get the inside scoop on how the stuff was done.

inherited a 69 roadrunner from my grand pop.