Originally Posted By Stanton
The pump location on the Spectra tank presents limitations - if you need a higher output pump for a higher HP application, what do you use ??

It was mentioned the Tanks Inc. had issues with leaks. What kind of leaks are we talking about - fittings, gaskets, what ??

It looks like the Tanks Inc. pump mount is specific to their pumps and any others require major surgery to the mounting flange BUT they do have a good selection of pumps. Are there any issues with their pumps ?
The first leak I had was with the venting. I filled the tank and the expanding fuel with heat sprayed fuel all over the spot where I parked it. Luckily, that was outside. Remounted the vent even higher and remounted the tank. My error.
Second leak, NPT threads on pressure side would only show up with the pump running. Not a big leak but still was flooding the top recess of the tank where everything mounted. Drop the tank, put Indian Head on the threads on it and the return as well. Remounted.
Third leak was on the AN to NPT fitting on the pressure side. Very slow leak but filled the garage with gasoline fumes and complaints from wife so dropped it the third time.
Bought the Spectra from Rock Auto.
Got very good at draining the tank. Pulled my Ram to the rear of the car and used a Holley electric fuel pump to transfer the gas to truck. Lower it with a piece of plywood between a floor jack and the tank.
The advantages of the Spectra tank:
1 It's outlet is exactly where the OEM was. A short piece of injector line with injector clamps hooked it right in. NO LEAKS
2 The ground strap to the tank can be also reused although it is not needed for the pump and fuel sender returns. I like having the tank at electrical ground for safety.
3 Last but definitely not least, the fuel sender for the gas gauge is the proper resistance for the Mopar system. When the tank is full, so is the gauge. Likewise for empty. The Tanks Inc sender is built to Ford specifications so it will not go to full with a full tank, just to 3/4. Never got the opportunity to see what empty or close empty looked like. I did use a MeterMatch from Technoversions to correct the gauge for full but that is another cost to add to the system.
4 The Spectra uses OEM vapor seperator and vent system making that part work much easier than the Tanks system.

One other thing to watch with the Tanks Inc is the feed wire for the sender. The attachment nut can easily be stripped with just a nut driver tightening it down.
I bought the Tanks because the Spectra while announced was not readily available. There also was not a lot of information about the Spectra. When Rock stared stocking them, the price alone made it very competitive.
BTW, both tanks hold the exact same amount of gasoline.
Hope this helps.
Craig

Last edited by denfireguy; 06/06/17 12:49 PM. Reason: Gooder English

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado