Moparts

in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi

Posted By: dickdale

in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 05/31/17 03:43 PM

Is there anyone who has installed an in tank fuel pump on his Plymouth B-body?

I have a Fitech EFI, 30002, with the Fuel command center, however I don't want to use the FCC. I want a clean engine bay. Besides that the in tank fuel pump reduces chance of vapor lock.

I found out that Spectra sells a Classic Fuel Injection Tank with pump, partnumber CR9CFI with the following specifications:

55-85 psi
200 LPH/58.6 GPH

The EFI throttlebody needs 58 psi and the FCC delivers 340 LPH so the Spectra tank isn't an option.

Which brand/partnumber did you use?
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 05/31/17 03:52 PM

tanksinc is what my car is getting

Pretty sure the spectra will work fine. The throttlebody has a return line anyway.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 05/31/17 09:57 PM

Any other options then the tankinc?

Don't mind to fabricate an in tank pump in the old tank.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 05/31/17 10:52 PM

Buy a Tanks Inc pump and their weld-in tank adapter and you're off to the races.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 05/31/17 11:43 PM

So is the FiTech Fuel Command Center is obsolete if you have an in tank pump?
Posted By: HemiSportFury

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/01/17 01:37 AM

I modified my 64 b-body tank to install an Aermotive Phantom 340 pump. Works fine and is quite.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/01/17 01:02 PM

I bought a TanksInc tank and a Aeromotive 340 pump with the JakeFab puck. No concerns.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/01/17 02:58 PM

Quote:

If the in tank pump is sufficient to feed the injectors then yes, the command center is not needed.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/01/17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:

If the in tank pump is sufficient to feed the injectors then yes, the command center is not needed.
Thank you.
Posted By: frank

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/02/17 03:43 AM

I went with a TanksInc tank for my 68 Charger and I'm not very happy with it. I used their in-tank pump setup and I will not go this route again. I had clearance problems and leak problems. In my other car (69 GTX) I used a stock tank (Spectra IIRC) and an Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump. In this case a hole was cut in the top of the tank, pump installed and the tank sealed back up. Two AN fittings are welded to the top of the fuel pump cover. Much cleaner and less prone to leak. The TankInc uses NPT fittings.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/02/17 04:00 AM

On my Ebody, I have had the Tanks and the Spectra EFI tanks.
Spectra all the way.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/02/17 04:22 AM

Originally Posted By frank
I went with a TanksInc tank for my 68 Charger and I'm not very happy with it. I used their in-tank pump setup and I will not go this route again. I had clearance problems and leak problems. In my other car (69 GTX) I used a stock tank (Spectra IIRC) and an Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump. In this case a hole was cut in the top of the tank, pump installed and the tank sealed back up. Two AN fittings are welded to the top of the fuel pump cover. Much cleaner and less prone to leak. The TankInc uses NPT fittings.

I have no issues with NPT fittings, but the TanksInc fuel pump solution is quite mediocre. In my opinion. I bought a JakeFab puck, which also uses NPT fittings, but worked out well for me. No leaks out of the gate.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/02/17 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By denfireguy
Spectra all the way.

Which EFI did you use?

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/02/17 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda

I have no issues with NPT fittings, but the TanksInc fuel pump solution is quite mediocre. In my opinion. I bought a JakeFab puck, which also uses NPT fittings, but worked out well for me. No leaks out of the gate.

This setup is for you Challenger? Looks nice. Which pump did you use?

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/02/17 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By dickdale
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda

This setup is for you Challenger? Looks nice. Which pump did you use?

Yes it is in my ebody. Aeromotive Stealth 340lph

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/03/17 02:54 AM

I believe this is the way to go.

Attached picture 100_3488.JPG

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/03/17 07:34 PM

I believe this is the way to go.
What's that? You fabricate your own?

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/04/17 03:12 AM

I believe that's an efi tank adapter from Tanks Inc. (or similar)
Posted By: BDW

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/04/17 05:58 PM

Spectra all the way.

I'm finishing up my install with the Spectra EFI tank based on your input.
Will report back if I can ever get this thing done, seems like every time I take a step forward, I find 2 other things that need fixed.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/05/17 01:48 AM

Thats a stock spec tank fitted with a Stealth 340 pump. I have a carb setup with return. I wish my fab skills were that good. This is a product of Ricks Tanks

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/05/17 06:19 PM

Same issue and worse, you had to keep dropping the tank to work on it. After three drops, your out. Spectra in, no leaks, not errors.
Craig

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/05/17 07:56 PM

I thought I saw somewhere that Spectra was making EFI tanks for older models ... If so, whose selling them?
Posted By: Devil

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/05/17 10:44 PM

I thought I saw somewhere that Spectra was making EFI tanks for older models ... If so, whose selling them?

I got a great deal on a Spectra EFI tank for my 71 Challenger through Rockauto. Discount code and everything. It is basically a stock tank with some EFI stuff thrown in it...

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/05/17 11:03 PM

So does it have a recess for the pump ??

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/06/17 08:08 AM

So does it have a recess for the pump ??

It is built into the side of the tank. I'll pull it out and take some pics tomorrow.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/06/17 09:11 AM

The B-Body spectra tank has a tub like area the pump sits into. It seems to work good, but I never ran it with real low fuel level?

Power the pump with a fuse to make sure it works before installing the tank. Originally, mine (early production) had the power wire touching the metal frame where the wires go through the sending unit plate and shouting out. Fix was easy, just rotate the wire connector, but finding out after installing the tank and filling with fuel.

Link to old thred
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post1934775

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/06/17 09:51 AM

The Spectra tank, type CR9CFI has a fuel pump with the following specs:

55-85 psi
200 L/PH / 58.6 G/PH

The Fuel Command Center that comes with the Fitech EFI, 30002 i've bought has an pump that delivers 340 L/PH. The Efi needs a least 58 psi.

Fitech also recommends an external fuel pump, 40005 if you don't use the Fuel Command Center. This pump delivers 255 L/PH.

The Spectra tank is only 350 dollar by Rockauto.

Would the fuel delivery be enough?

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/06/17 03:28 PM

The pump location on the Spectra tank presents limitations - if you need a higher output pump for a higher HP application, what do you use ??

It was mentioned the Tanks Inc. had issues with leaks. What kind of leaks are we talking about - fittings, gaskets, what ??

It looks like the Tanks Inc. pump mount is specific to their pumps and any others require major surgery to the mounting flange BUT they do have a good selection of pumps. Are there any issues with their pumps ?

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/06/17 04:46 PM

The pump location on the Spectra tank presents limitations - if you need a higher output pump for a higher HP application, what do you use ??

It was mentioned the Tanks Inc. had issues with leaks. What kind of leaks are we talking about - fittings, gaskets, what ??

It looks like the Tanks Inc. pump mount is specific to their pumps and any others require major surgery to the mounting flange BUT they do have a good selection of pumps. Are there any issues with their pumps ?
The first leak I had was with the venting. I filled the tank and the expanding fuel with heat sprayed fuel all over the spot where I parked it. Luckily, that was outside. Remounted the vent even higher and remounted the tank. My error.
Second leak, NPT threads on pressure side would only show up with the pump running. Not a big leak but still was flooding the top recess of the tank where everything mounted. Drop the tank, put Indian Head on the threads on it and the return as well. Remounted.
Third leak was on the AN to NPT fitting on the pressure side. Very slow leak but filled the garage with gasoline fumes and complaints from wife so dropped it the third time.
Bought the Spectra from Rock Auto.
Got very good at draining the tank. Pulled my Ram to the rear of the car and used a Holley electric fuel pump to transfer the gas to truck. Lower it with a piece of plywood between a floor jack and the tank.
The advantages of the Spectra tank:
1 It's outlet is exactly where the OEM was. A short piece of injector line with injector clamps hooked it right in. NO LEAKS
2 The ground strap to the tank can be also reused although it is not needed for the pump and fuel sender returns. I like having the tank at electrical ground for safety.
3 Last but definitely not least, the fuel sender for the gas gauge is the proper resistance for the Mopar system. When the tank is full, so is the gauge. Likewise for empty. The Tanks Inc sender is built to Ford specifications so it will not go to full with a full tank, just to 3/4. Never got the opportunity to see what empty or close empty looked like. I did use a MeterMatch from Technoversions to correct the gauge for full but that is another cost to add to the system.
4 The Spectra uses OEM vapor seperator and vent system making that part work much easier than the Tanks system.

One other thing to watch with the Tanks Inc is the feed wire for the sender. The attachment nut can easily be stripped with just a nut driver tightening it down.
I bought the Tanks because the Spectra while announced was not readily available. There also was not a lot of information about the Spectra. When Rock stared stocking them, the price alone made it very competitive.
BTW, both tanks hold the exact same amount of gasoline.
Hope this helps.
Craig

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/07/17 12:24 AM

Here's my Spectra CR8FFI Fuel Tank for my 1971 Dodge Challenger.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/07/17 02:02 AM

Awesome, how'd you get that inside pic?
Scope through vents?

Forget it, filler tune opening.......duh

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/08/17 09:04 PM

this is the answer Fitech came with when I asked what the minimal L/ph need to be for my Fitech Efi:

Hi,

How much does the EFI, part number 30002 need? With the Fuel Command Center the pump delivers 340 l/ph. With the external pump, part number 40005, the pump delivers 225 l/ph.

What is the minimal flow rate the throttle body (30002) needs?

I'm looking for an in tank pump and would like to know which possibilities there are.

Thanks in advance!

Robin

Answer:

Hi

a 255 LPH pump will support you up to 600 hp, and works well with the go EFI 4. But either pump will work.

Anything else let me know

---

Thanks

Kirk Spiger

Tech Support

FiTech Fuel Injection

12370 Doherty St. Suite A
Riverside, CA 92503
Phone –951-643-3848
www.fitechefi.com

Not real satisfying...

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/08/17 09:26 PM

The reply seems pretty clear to me. The command centre will support up to 800 HP (340 lph) but your 30002 is only rated at 600 HP as is the 40005.

How can it be any clearer - and I got all this from their website !!

So if you're looking for an alternative to an FiTech pump, look for one that matches or is greater than the 40005 output.
Posted By: jcc

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/09/17 03:12 AM

The reply seems pretty clear to me. The command centre will support up to 800 HP (340 lph) but your 30002 is only rated at 600 HP as is the 40005.

So if you're looking for an alternative to an FiTech pump, look for one that matches or is greater than the 40005 output.

I thought in all accuracy when using the command center, it requires a low pressure pump to feed the command center, and that, and the line size, distance, routing could also factor into the HP level supported? work
And Command center effectively does not have to counteract any acceleration negative effects if mounted in front of the engine?

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/09/17 05:14 AM

The command center can be fed with an stock engine-mounted pump. The command stores a small volume of fuel that can be used for short full-throttle bursts. The length being determined by your HP level and subsequent fuel requirement. I doubt the command center holds enough fuel for an 800 hp motor to make a full quarter mile pass. However, if you used a higher volume pump such as an electric blue Holley, that would probably give you an adequate supply for just about anything. Keep in mind that an EFI system does not use MORE fuel, it just needs more PRESSURE - this is what EFI pumps provide over standard pumps.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/09/17 11:28 AM

I pulled the Spectra CR9CFI pump out and it is a Walbro (USA) Part number GSS342, 255 lph pump.

Reference: http://walbrofuelpumps.com/255lph-walbro-gss342-intank-fuel-pump.html

I bought a Walbro TIA485-2 pump, 450 LPH that will run E-85 and I was going to run it in place of the GSS342 pump, but I would have had to modify the bracket holding the pump, and just decided to use the GSS342 pump for the time being as I have not gotten the new ECU and flex-fuel sensor wired in.
The CR9CFI with the GSS342 seemed to perform just fine with the old Edelbrock XT EFI system, but I'm probably under 500 HP at this altitude.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/09/17 02:49 PM

So will that pump still fit through the opening once you modify the bracket and mount it?

It would be nice if Spectra offered some pump options when you buy the tank assembly.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/09/17 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By 451Mopar
I pulled the Spectra CR9CFI pump out and it is a Walbro (USA) Part number GSS342, 255 lph pump.

Reference: http://walbrofuelpumps.com/255lph-walbro-gss342-intank-fuel-pump.html

I bought a Walbro TIA485-2 pump, 450 LPH that will run E-85 and I was going to run it in place of the GSS342 pump, but I would have had to modify the bracket holding the pump, and just decided to use the GSS342 pump for the time being as I have not gotten the new ECU and flex-fuel sensor wired in.
The CR9CFI with the GSS342 seemed to perform just fine with the old Edelbrock XT EFI system, but I'm probably under 500 HP at this altitude.
Thanks for doing that. One reason I did not get the Spectra originally was the lack of information from Spectra on what they were using. 255 l/h is fine for my application.
Craig

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/12/17 08:39 AM

Thanks for clearing! I haven't thought of it this way...

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/12/17 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By 451Mopar

That's brings the Spectra tank in a different perspective. May go this way...
Posted By: JimG

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/12/17 01:35 PM

I bought a tank from Rock Valley for my '67 Coronet. They fabricate many tanks for EFI from scratch but given the odd shape of the '66-'67 B-body tank, they modify a Spectra tank for this application. They did a nice job, creating a chamber inside the tank that the pump slips into. I've never had any starvation issues with a low level. It also uses a vertical street rod sending unit that is far more accurate than the aftermarket unit I was using when the car had a carb. My only complaint is that I had to cut a hole in my trunk floor and get a small sheetmetal "hump" fabricated to cover it. Again, that might be unique to the '66-'67 B-body. Honestly though, I would have done this anyway... nothing like having to drop the tank if the fuel pump goes Tango Uniform far away from home. I'm running a Walbro LPH400 pump. Being in the tank, even that particular pump, which is one of the louder in-tank pumps, is way quieter than the Carter electric pump I was using when the car was carbureted.

Check out this thread. You'll have to weed though a bunch of Megasquirt discussion, but eventually the discussion gets heavily into the Tanks Inc setup.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.0.html

I'm attaching a few pics of my talk. I bought this over 4 years ago and I'm sure there are many more options today.

Best of luck!

Attached picture DSC_0007_small.JPG
Attached picture DSC_0009_small.JPG

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/20/17 03:32 AM

I just pulled my tank out again.

I have a Walbro Electric pump in the tank. It is a GSS342 pump that produces 255 lph.

Two other friends got basically the same tank, one for a 70 Challenger and another for a 72 'Cuda and they both had the same pump.

So I do not know where the other info came from.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/20/17 03:58 AM

Finally got my FiTech with Spectra tank install up and running.
Car runs great so far.............

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/21/17 04:06 PM

awesome! Which Fitech Efi do you use?

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/22/17 12:13 AM

I picked up the 600HP model when they had the $100 rebate this last Christmas.

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/23/17 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By dickdale
Spectra all the way.

Which EFI did you use?

Using a Megasquirt 2 controlling a Holley Terminator throttle body. Was also using a PWM controller for the Walbro pump but found out Walbro does not recommend using pump controllers. I am back using a mechanical regulator.
It is pretty well dialed in with the exception of IAC and secondary injector tip in. Enjoying the car now, this stuff will be adjusted later.
Craig
Posted By: dynorad

Re: in tank fuel pump Fitech Efi - 06/23/17 11:45 PM

If you have fab skills and want a low budget approach- go to the junkyard and pick up a steel fuel tank from an early 90's Ford Explorer. The pump/ tank flange, hanger and vent can be re-used, and if your careful you can reuse the sump (antislosh) from the Explorer tank. The hanger will mate up with a Walbro pump with some mods.
© 2024 Moparts Forums