Originally Posted By Mattax
It should be packed with grease. That is, basically it should be full of grease, leaving room at the top. This done when the gears are out.
Keeping it full in service can be handled differently:
If it wasn't sufficiently packed to begin with, try adding more grease. The problem is that NLGI #2 (or even #1) grease doesn't flow downward with gravity. Therefore it may leave the gears or portions of it in an air pocket. Eberg's 50/50 will reduce that possibility, although some of the oil may drip out over time.

If the oil has seperated from the grease and dripped out, then add a gear oil. Grease works as a lubricant because it holds oil.

I have not found the specs for the Chrysler lube. I had some luck finding specs from Ford and GM for their very similar recirculating ball steering gears. NLGI 1 seems to be fine except in situations where the box gets very hot. NLGI 2 seems to be the prefered thickness where exhaust runs close or the engine compartment was tight. Whatever you use, try to make sure the base stocks of the greases are compatible.

All the manual says is use steering gear lubricant, and if that is not available to use a 'good grade' multi purpose lubricant. It also says when done properly it will have 11 ounces of lubricant in there and the level of lubricant will be at the top of the worm.

I could clearly see the worm so I'm thinking it got hot and the was not sufficient lubricant, also it not at the top of the worm, so I will be adding some right away and will road test on slower neighborhood roads to se if this takes care of it.

66Scar