Originally Posted By @#$%&*!
Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
My gut feeling is, in a "bracket race" 512 application there would be more difference between the two heads...... But even if there wasn't...... After the motor has already been built, where are you going to find an extra 25hp for $400?(Which is what the difference in price between the 240's and 270's is).

And the flip-side would be: what engine would be BETTER with the smaller heads. It's probably not a stroked motor.
twocents

Well, I have seen many stroker builds on this site where the 240's would make more sense than the 270's.
In order to really exploit the added potential of the 270 heads, you're going to want to run a fairly substantial cam and have enough intake manifold to keep up......... then you need more gear and more stall to match.
That's just not what everyone is building. In fact, I'd say that might be 1/2 of what the people who call me are looking for. The other 1/2 could usually have their needs satisfied with stage 1 RPM heads....... only now with the 240's in the mix, they are an option that offers "more bang for the buck"........ but in many cases, even those would be a bit of overkill.

It's no different than what the BBC guys have had for years. The largest runner volume head offered by the various suppliers isn't the best choice for every application.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads