Quote:

I thought E'berg cleared this up eons ago.

The stock bolt shank is smaller than the hole in the cap so it doesn't make contact with the bolt bore when it is torqued.

An ARP stud is uniform diameter (larger) and on a lot of stock caps, will make contact. This is what causes the distortion on the main bores. In his article he opened up the bolt bores slightly so the studs had more clearance and the distortion vanished.

My ? If you have the tools and the talent, install the caps with studs, torque them with the ARP lube and measure them. If the bores are still within the acceptable +/- .00000X, marvelous.

If you find one that isn't that was OK with bolts, open up the bolt bores so the studs have clearance and it should then be marvelous too.

Kevin

Yep. I stated this Eons ago in this thread. my Caps had plenty of contact too with the new Wider shank studs. I redrilled my caps as well, but thsat wasn't enough. The higher torque value distorted them as well. Had to have the line hone, crank wouldn't spin without it.

So the Wider shanks of the studs and the higher torque value both play a roll with the altered tolerences.