01/27/15 03:42 AM
01/27/15 03:42 AM
White Creek, NY
408cuda Offline
mopar
408cuda  Offline
mopar

White Creek, NY
Recently did this test on a MP pre-world hemi block going from stock bolts to arp studs. It changed enough for me to plan on getting it honed. I would have to go through my notes to give exact #'s but it surprised me. I was hoping it would be run-able.

Just check and see what happens.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: fourgearsavoy] #1738056
01/27/15 12:12 PM
01/27/15 12:12 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

With your engine I would use the bolts, since that was what it was align honed with. The Studs, because their shank is fatter then the bolts are sure to push those caps out of their alignment. If you want to use the studs, redo the align hone for them.

Im sure your measurements will confirm that. You really don't need the studs though with your combo. But if the blocks still bare, use them and rehone.

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to reuse the original bolts, so would I need to re-hone if I get some ARP bolts?

As long as the ARP bolts are torqued to the same value as the stock bolts , which they would be , not an issue.

I have installed studs on the mains before and I really don't see how the cap can move a substantial amount after they are "tapped" into place How does the cap know what's holding it in place The only place the cap can move is fore and aft and #3 is the only cap that will really matter on the thrust surface
Gus

It has nothing to do with the caps moving ... the caps are located in the block by the register step in the block ... studs are torqued to a different value than bolts ... HIGHER ... this higher value can/will distort the main bores ... make them not round.

So just to be clear you guys have actually measured the bore after you installed studs and and torqued the caps an aditional 15 pounds and could actually measure the distortion of the cap
This claim wil go into the trash with laying a crankshaft on it's side will ruin it More excuses for an engine builder when he has one that scattered
Gus

YES...............................

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738057
01/27/15 12:28 PM
01/27/15 12:28 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Bottom line - If you are going to change hardware / torque specs, you should measure. Not that big of a deal.

Fastest 300
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: Crizila] #1738058
01/27/15 12:38 PM
01/27/15 12:38 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
I will also add, check your cylinder bores.

Really no reason to run studs IMO

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: Crizila] #1738059
01/27/15 12:59 PM
01/27/15 12:59 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
I thought E'berg cleared this up eons ago.

The stock bolt shank is smaller than the hole in the cap so it doesn't make contact with the bolt bore when it is torqued.

An ARP stud is uniform diameter (larger) and on a lot of stock caps, will make contact. This is what causes the distortion on the main bores. In his article he opened up the bolt bores slightly so the studs had more clearance and the distortion vanished.

My ? If you have the tools and the talent, install the caps with studs, torque them with the ARP lube and measure them. If the bores are still within the acceptable +/- .00000X, marvelous.

If you find one that isn't that was OK with bolts, open up the bolt bores so the studs have clearance and it should then be marvelous too.

Kevin

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: Twostick] #1738060
01/27/15 02:37 PM
01/27/15 02:37 PM
State, country, etc.
G
gss Offline OP
super stock
gss  Offline OP
super stock
G

State, country, etc.
Quote:

The stock bolt shank is smaller than the hole in the cap so it doesn't make contact with the bolt bore when it is torqued.

An ARP stud is uniform diameter (larger) and on a lot of stock caps, will make contact. This is what causes the distortion on the main bores. In his article he opened up the bolt bores slightly so the studs had more clearance and the distortion vanished.

My ? If you have the tools and the talent, install the caps with studs, torque them with the ARP lube and measure them. If the bores are still within the acceptable +/- .00000X, marvelous.

If you find one that isn't that was OK with bolts, open up the bolt bores so the studs have clearance and it should then be marvelous too.

Kevin

That is very interesting. Upon further inspection, there was NO align honing done at all with bolts or studs. I will be taking it to a different machine shop for align honing with the studs. Should I be concerned about the cylinders getting out of round?

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738061
01/27/15 02:53 PM
01/27/15 02:53 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
You should always be concern with the cylinders getting out of round any time you do machining on the block. I know SB Mopar racers that torque the main caps on, torque the oil filter adapter on as well as the timing cover on with two torque plates to the block when doing the finish honing I use to have my M.W. motors honed with a torque plate on one side and a cylinder head on the other side with the head gaskets that I was going to use I make sure the cam bearings are installed also when honing the block Little things can mean a lot

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: Twostick] #1738062
01/27/15 09:33 PM
01/27/15 09:33 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

Kevin

Yep. I stated this Eons ago in this thread. my Caps had plenty of contact too with the new Wider shank studs. I redrilled my caps as well, but thsat wasn't enough. The higher torque value distorted them as well. Had to have the line hone, crank wouldn't spin without it.

So the Wider shanks of the studs and the higher torque value both play a roll with the altered tolerences.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: roadhazard] #1738063
01/29/15 07:01 PM
01/29/15 07:01 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I will also add, check your cylinder bores.

Really no reason to run studs IMO

When torque specs are changed everything distorts differently ...

unless you are a flat rate mechanic ...

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: JohnRR] #1738064
02/09/15 06:16 PM
02/09/15 06:16 PM
State, country, etc.
G
gss Offline OP
super stock
gss  Offline OP
super stock
G

State, country, etc.
Brief update, the machine shop called and said everything checks out fine except the balance job from 440 Source was less than perfect but he didn't advise changing anything there.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738065
02/09/15 07:03 PM
02/09/15 07:03 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Even less than perfect is probably 10 times better than the balance job as it rolled out of the factory!

R.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: dogdays] #1738066
02/09/15 08:46 PM
02/09/15 08:46 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Something to be aware that happened with my 512 stroker with ARP studs and Road Race Pan.

Cinching down nuts on the oil pan studs at rear main retainer I felt the torque wrench suddenly loosen as though I had stripped either the nut or the stud that was screwed into the Mancini aluminum retainer.

Pulling the pan off, I found this. The number 5 rear main stud had barely caught the oil pan and what I had felt was the pan that had been caught, suddenly slid a bit as torque was applied thereby given me that quick release that I had felt.

Yes this main stud appeared to be properly bottomed in it block hole (I pulled it out to ensure nothing else was in the hole,,,all was well).

A bit of surgery with a Dremel rounded of a bit of the nut side of the stud and all is well.

To this day not certain if was a stud problem or Road Race pan issue. Only one gasket on pan,,,no windage,,, perhaps this had something to do with it,,,places pan closer to block,,,but doubt it.

8424384-image.jpg (66 downloads)
Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 02/09/15 09:27 PM.
Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1738067
02/09/15 11:00 PM
02/09/15 11:00 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Something to be aware that happened with my 512 stroker with ARP studs and Road Race Pan.

Cinching down nuts on the oil pan studs at rear main retainer I felt the torque wrench suddenly loosen as though I had stripped either the nut or the stud that was screwed into the Mancini aluminum retainer.

Pulling the pan off, I found this. The number 5 rear main stud had barely caught the oil pan and what I had felt was the pan that had been caught, suddenly slid a bit as torque was applied thereby given me that quick release that I had felt.

Yes this main stud appeared to be properly bottomed in it block hole (I pulled it out to ensure nothing else was in the hole,,,all was well).

A bit of surgery with a Dremel rounded of a bit of the nut side of the stud and all is well.

To this day not certain if was a stud problem or Road Race pan issue. Only one gasket on pan,,,no windage,,, perhaps this had something to do with it,,,places pan closer to block,,,but doubt it.

Some, not all , of ARP Mopar main stud kits come with two shorter studs in them, those two go in the back on # 5 main cap I make my own crankshaft scrapers that get glued to the block on the passenger and the half of one oil pan gasket gets glue onto the remaining oil pan surfaces and then go from there I use the scraper and stock windage trays with two more oil pan gaskets, lots of clearances between the block and oil pan with all that mess

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738068
02/25/15 05:38 PM
02/25/15 05:38 PM
State, country, etc.
G
gss Offline OP
super stock
gss  Offline OP
super stock
G

State, country, etc.
Final update. Got the block back from the machine shop. They checked everything and all is good. Even the mains didn't need align honing after installing the studs.

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738069
02/25/15 07:20 PM
02/25/15 07:20 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Final update. Got the block back from the machine shop. They checked everything and all is good. Even the mains didn't need align honing after installing the studs.

Clean the block and main caps up real well and install the main bearings and crankshaft with the oil you'll run in the motor on both, without the rear main seal, and see how easy the crankshaft turns using your hand on the snout to rotate it Let us know what you find out Can you measure the I.D. of the bearings and the O.D. of the main journals ? If so please let us know how much clearance you have with no oil on both

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: Cab_Burge] #1738070
02/25/15 11:30 PM
02/25/15 11:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Main thing to remember with studs
since the studs are bigger and can be right up against the cap--it can screw up the thrust situation--the fix is the same --enlarge the hole in the cap--allowing you to move the center main cap enough to line up the thrust like you need to

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738071
02/25/15 11:47 PM
02/25/15 11:47 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Good news! Sounds like you have a pretty decent block then

I assume he also checked the cylinders after installing & torquing the studs?

Re: Main studs or bolts [Re: gss] #1738072
02/26/15 01:57 AM
02/26/15 01:57 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

When you get to installing the crank and mains.. make
sure you SET the end play.. with the mains just snug
give the crank a whack back and forth with a dead blow
type hammer to set the thrust bearing then torque
it down

Page 2 of 2 1 2