Quote:

Check the MSD distributer wires,may be backwards.

This was my problem.

I'll admit, I have been messing with this hard starting issue for the better part of two months and it was driving me nucking futs.

Even though the car would run, it was very hard to start in all situations and no adjustments were having any effect - timing or carb. It would eventually fire after multiple attempts though it never stayed running without holding the throttle open. Once it got warmed up it would stay running which is part of why this was confusing.

I figured I needed to try something different. Something was telling me it had to be ignition/timing related since the plugs were still black no matter what I did to the carb.

I read back through the thread here to see if I missed something. I read BG's reply and started looking into the issue some more. Turns out it is a somewhat common problem with magnetic pickup (Mopar) distributors. You kind of really have to read through some of the replies on the MSD forums and decide for yourself to switch the wires.

The thing is, the MSD instructions don't really make any mention of this particular issue and I wired it like they said. I kept re-checking believing it to be correct and since it kind of ran, there was no real reason to think I had it wired wrong. Plus, I did all the MSD troubleshooting procedures with no apparent issues.

So just for kicks, this AM I went out and switched the wires. Two pumps on the throttle, turned the key and the car fired instantly and easily and stayed running. I was relieved but completely annoyed at the same time.

Need to start from scratch on tuning now but at least its starting and running right now so I have a proper baseline. Live and learn I guess. Thanks again for all the replies.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500