Basic combo info - 340/W2; .557 cam, Proform 750 DP, Victor W2, MSD 6AL, MP distributor with Firecore cap/wires, RC9YC plugs. Cam 2 100 octane.

Car will hardly run, very hard to start. It ran briefly the other day when it was real warm out but then not again today when it was colder. Most of the time it turns over but will not fire/run.

Verified spark with inline spark tester, seems to be OK. Actually shocked me pretty good at one point. Verified proper MSD operation by breaking pickup circuit, nice blue spark. Fuel is pumping for sure, it's fouling plugs.

Distributor was out at one point so I have not been able to verify correct timing after I put it back in but it's close. I made a reference mark before I took it out, it's probably around 15-20 advanced but I can't say for sure. # on distributor plate is 13.

Carb has been apart a couple times after backfiring. Checked all gaskets to see if they're covering any holes, all appear OK; blew out all the orifices, cleaned all the carbon, checked the power valve (front only) works, holds vacuum. Did the floats on the bench but not while the car was running. 6.5 PV in it but last time I checked vacuum at idle it was under 7.

Verified engine/distributor timing like 8 times. Checked firing order/wires good.

So mostly it turns over but won't fire. I suspect some of the problem has to do with insufficient spark. I had a battery go down and replaced it but all the start attempts have drained the new one too.

Did a compression check, all except #t5 were 175-180 psi. #5 was low at 120, squirted some oil in it and it went up to 150. I understand the #5 might not sound so great but it should run on 7 even if #5 was totally dead.

I have gotten it running a few times but it won't stay lit without keeping the throttle pretty far open and it won't idle. The plugs keep fouling then it won't start again. It also pops through the carb when cranking and when the throttle blades close. Gas in the body caught fire a few times when attempting to get it running.

I feel like I'm killing the thing trying to get it running. The starter is gonna be toast soon too.

I know I may be chasing multiple things here but I can't really isolate anything until it runs.

Hope someone has a suggestion on how to keep this thing running. It sounds OK when it's going.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Here's a pic of the #1 plug.

8079856-IMG_0115.JPG (206 downloads)
Last edited by RMCHRGR; 04/21/14 04:09 PM.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500