The car I dealt with also had idle issues. There were multiple issues that needed to be solved. At times the iac motor would work, and at other times it would not. This was a complete edelbrock system(intake,inj,dist,harness,ecu...)The first issue I solved was in the bulkhead connector. 1 pin was not locked in, and it would intermittently lose continuity. edelbrock sent me a few replacement pins free of charge. Next issue was the closed throttle tps value. The value the ecu was seeing was to high (ECU thinks the throttle is open) so the iac doesn't come on line. The customer tried closing the throttle plate to overcome this, but it didn't have enough range to get to the pre determined(locked by edelbrock)tps value. Bottom line, we needed to unlock the limits of the ecu to get the system in range to work with its other components. After unlocking the ecu, we got the car to run flawlessly.
Once the ecu is unlocked, you can use ANY style trigger you want to run this system. You can select from drop down menus what style trigger you might have. You are not stuck with the edelbrock dist.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"