I'd like to hear opinions from EFI users on which ECU you would recommend for a 4000lb. STREET car with 3.23 gears and an 833 4spd and A/C. It's a 383ci, Hyd. roller(230@50), Doug's headders, Edelbrock ProFlo direct port into a Torker 383, 54lb.@ 46psi injectors, NOVI 1500 w/approx. 10 lbs. boost. It has the Edelbrock 35090 kit which includes a distributor made by mallory for edelbrock. It is a hall effect square wave signal which we cut the shaft down to fit the low deck 383. Edelbrock says we have to use this dizzy to have the correct signal for their engineered ECU. If the car wasn't boosted, the edel handheld would have tuned the car. However once we changed to 2bar map and wide band, we could no longer tune with their handheld. We purchased the NGK AFX Powerdex wideband 02 sensor w/digital readout which Kyle at Edelbrock recommended. Loaded additional programming from Edel into the laptop, sent the ECU back to fix a "bug" and paid the $400 to upgrade for on the fly tuning. I hand wrote on an 8.5x11 piece of paper everything about the car. 64yo owner that needs to be able to pull away from the stoplight with ease, everything in and on the motor, part #s for the sensors and more! After hours of trying to tune on the car and talking to Kyle and Clay on the phone they said "just take it to the dyno and let them tune it". Well after loading the car in the trailer and driving 1:15:00 one way to the dyno, I unload the car, he loads the Edel software into his laptop and spends 2 hours trying to get the car running well enough to strap to the dyno, I leave the car there, drive 2 hours home(bad traffic) and wait to hear from him. Late the next day he says he talked to edelbrock and they had loaded a race tune into the ECU because they thought it was a HEMI race car! WTH?? He asked what thier program was based on and they said it was engineered by them. He never got the car onto the dyno. So I was told to come get the car as the dyno guy can't waste any more time on it. I don't own the car, it is my customer.
So after the car sits in the trailer for 2 months because I can't afford to waste my time on it, the owner expects me to figure something out. We don't trust the poorly designed distributor as we have already had issues with it, as have others with this kit. You can read about it on the Edelbrock EFI forum.
I want to use as much of the components alraedy on the car. Hopefully just change the ECU, a little wiring, and maybe the throttle body.
So who makes an ECU that is user friendly with boost and ignition control. What makes the controller you recommend better than the others? Price isn't a (big)concern, function is! This is not a low budget novice build.

Brad

Check out the Dorn's 69 Barracuda "Switchblade" in the Nov.2010 MCG
Check out the Dorn's refurbished 36 Ford in the Feb.2011 Street Rodder