Quote:

Quote:

I found it fairly easy to modify a set of Hooker 5204 headers t

{snip}

down the strip banging gears with a 16psi radiator cap.
For those not watching, the Weiand poly intake broke past the $1000 mark on ebay recently with others past $800. And I ported the heck outta mine

Was the LA block redesigned in the lifter valley? If the LA retained the Poly 59 degree angle what did they change in order to have push rod issues? Not doubting there were issues at all just trying to learn

With your build, how come you went with Poly heads? What kind of power did you end up making? Also if I remember right, can't 318 Poly blocks take a fairly substantial overbore (.100" range)?

I guess there must have been a change in the lifter valley. I expect with the larger bores of the 340/360 it was decided to make more room for water jackets. I haven't verified it myself but I've heard that the earlier 340 blocks will take the poly heads with much less trouble.

The reason: I had a poly-powered B-body and was looking for a cheap way to increase displacement while keeping the poly engine. I'd already done the B-body 440 deal (I still have it) so that wasn't of any interest to me. At the time, cheap stroker crankshafts weren't so easily obtained but 360's could be had practically for free. I just wanted to see what it would take. I ended up selling the car after all the poly/360 technical details had been worked out but before I actually got the engine rebuilt and running. It was just sitting on a stand taking up space. Then along came the 4-speed project Dart Sport. I had planned to use a 360 in it but then noticed the 360 used for the poly project was not only drilled for a 4 speed, it had a never used bushing installed at the factory. It was all downhill from there.

I think a good dual-plane poly intake would sell some units but I have no interest in one. I've been thinking of making my own intake designed for my displacement and intended rpm range. There is a lot of potential in a new head but I think most poly owners are just old fuddy-duddies who prefer a near stock engine. I would expect new heads to be expensive to make and slow selling. I believe one reason Chryco buried the poly and all but spit on it's grave is the new SBC-knockoff wedge heads were so much cheaper to make. The poly fits fine in the '67 up cars but a little redesign work would be needed for power-steering A-bodies.