Quote:

The use of electric fans in modern vehicles has nothing to do with cooling. If you wish to use an example to support your position make sure it's relevant.

I never said the use of electric fans has anything to do with cooling better than mechanical fans. I stated that they CAN cool an engine just fine (despite what some here may say)or they wouldn't be used in modern cars. Please read carefully before you put your foot in your mouth.

The article they had referenced on a thread here a few months ago had a 440 dyno'd with the OE type mechanical fan setup and then using electric fans. At higher RPM's, it was about an 18-22 hp difference at the rear wheels so I would argue that it is not a negligible difference between the two in terms of parasitic loss.

My fans pull 20 amps (measured with clamp gauges) and are rated at 2700 CFM. I only run them with a stat (195 degree on 175 off)...no controller per se. Idling in traffic, they can come on for a minute and you can watch the temp needle drop and they will eventually pull it down enough to shut off.

I'm not bashing mechanical fan setups here at all. I think the OE setup works great for raw cooling. I wanted the advantages of a cleaner looking engine compartment and the extra HP freed up. When I first got my Charger, the OEM fan was in bad shape, shroud broken, etc so I had to re-do the entire cooling system anyway...I went electric.

I just wanted to point out that a well thought out (and not cheap) electric fan setup can cool just fine.