Quote:

Quote:

So would there be anyway to modify the OD to function in a race application as a 4 speed auto with a custom gear set. I have no real knowledge about the transmission but always thought it would be cool to have a 4 speed auto in race application assuming it was viable of course.

The OD cant handle any big power.. its a fairly
small clutch (diameter)

I talked with Larry Shephard of mopar performance way back in the early '90's about using the 518 as a race 4 speed. This was back in the day where you got to stand in line at the nats' and wait to ask Larry one question; accept his knowledge/ or lack of it and move on.

He emphatically said there is no way at that time that it could work as a 4 speed due to the amount of time for the overlap shift going into OD. Today we know that the spring holding the pressure on the OD is far to weak/ and likely many other parts as well. The OD should be used as mopar intended.

And Mike, I really wish you could remember which kit and what you did for mods to this tranny. I am going to use an A500 with a 360 in my build. The experience of others could help.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!