Quote:

CRE2004, i think you might be missing my point, not sure. you won't have the harmonics if the caps aren't moving. no need for the girdle in that case. i've never put a girdle on a BBC 1800HP motor and i've not seen any problems with blocks breaking or caps walking with the 4 bolt splayed and doweled billit caps. the fact is that it works.

I got your point, I was just thinking one thing and typing another. I agree with you on doweled, splayed, billet 4 bolt caps, no doubt. What I was thinking of is doweled two bolt Mopar main caps. You can pin down the bottom of the cap and hold it steady, but the harmonic is still present and the cap will still flex and move as it forms and egg shape and the shape changes as the crank rotates. The two bolt BBM main cap design is far from ideal, and as pointed out above, would greatly benefit from a cap with side contact to the block like a hemi cross bolt. The function of the cross bolts and the girdle are similar. I know you'll have to try one successfully before your convinced...
Mike