Quote:

Here's another way to look at it...like someone already said, you can get race gas around $6.85/gallon....I use straight Av-Gas in all my own cars which runs about $1.00 more per gallon than 91 octane, so I'm paying about $4.50/gallon...91 octane is about 3.20/gallon here...

It's commonly known that more compression equals more efficiency which equals better fuel mileage...Having said that, if your pump gas car gets 8 miles/gallon and mine gets 14 miles/gallon, after 2,000 miles of driving you've spent $800 and I've spent $642 on Av-Gas....and I could run real race gas and still would only cost me $978, which is only $180 with 2,000 miles of driving AND with everything else being equal I made more power because I can run more camshaft when running higher compression....

People always look at JUST what race gas costs per gallon when they really should be looking at the whole picture...

You can make the very same argument for E85, run about 4 points higher compression than you can on 91 octane. In my experience you get about 4 percent more efficiency for a point of compression, if you do bump it up from 9 to one to 13 to one you could get 16% more MPG, more than enough to compensate for the lower energy content, it smells better and is cheaper than even 87 octane and yes your engine WILL make more power.

As for the reason some people are infatuated with pump gas, maybe it is because some of us were raised on low budgets and can not afford the finer things in life, or because were raised to be frugal either because we had budget minded or broke parents while we were kids, now we are all grown up and still have that mentality even if we can afford the double or triple price that race gas typically costs. Also some of us do drive our street cars on the street in real life (not just a local show on a sunny nice day) and may need to be sure fuel is available for us.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!