Quote:

Quote:

and here i was thinking i would get some good intel on what its like to run race gas in a street car.

I KEEP FORGETTING THIS ISNT THE SAME MOPARTS IT WAS YEARS AGO!

I'm sure complaining about it, then not adding any useful tech will help the situation!

Yes, adding compression will make an engine more efficient. Being generous, a 1 point increase in CR is worth at most a 2% boost in overall power, and that number goes down as CR increases, too. I could see a fuel economy jump from 8 to 14 mpg only if you were comparing something like a 500" stroker at 9:1 with a grossly oversized cam, to a smallblock at 14:1 with a better cam choice. The efficiency goes up with the CR increase, but it isn't going to be such a drastic jump unless the previous combination was just terrible. Unfortunately I think Wayne is trying to point out that many of the pump gas combos people have with our old Mopars aren't anywhere close to optimized. There are stock motors in motorcycles and some cars that have 12:1 static CR these days. They're all aluminum blocks/heads, decent head/quench design, and efi with much better air/fuel and timing control than what most 60's era musclecars have though.

I have one of these poor combos in my Jeep. The previous owner put a decent size cam in it, I'm guessing it's about 240 @ 50 duration. It has a stock smog era AMC 360 in it otherwise, with maybe 8.2:1 CR. Because of the cam and it's intake closing point, it makes about 115 psi of cranking compression. It's terrible, no bottom end power at all, gets 9mpg with 3.54 gears and 33" tires, etc. The engine would be much happier with that same cam with another 3 points of static CR. But it's not a fair comparison, because the combination of parts is poor to begin with. If the cranking compression got up to 180-190 by swapping slugs with that same cam it wouldn't be such a turd to drive and the fuel economy would go up, too.

Exactly....it's pretty common for some guy's 12 second thrown together combo to get 8 miles/gallon...while a nicely built, scienced out combo that runs 10's can get 14mpg +...

Having said that, my car runs 127mph in the 1/4 through manifolds on nuts at 3,590lbs....has good quench...plenty of timing at cruise (vacuum advance)....A/F is in the mid to high 13's....so I'm sure it does OK, but I've honestly never driven through a whole tank without going WOT and power shifting 20-30 times...LOL because I could honestly not care any less about what kind of mileage it gets or what I spent on race gas (unless it cost $30+/gallon like mentioned )....

To me, race gas is just like any other consumable involved with hot rods, like oil, tires, valve springs and roller lifters...it's just part of the territory..

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......