Quote:

I wold verify the actaul emps in the motor with a infra red gun at the sender and use a thermometer(SP?) in the radiator I've seen gauges be off as much as 50 F when indicating in the lower ranges Autometer mechanical water temp gauge read 140F and the actual water temp coming into the radiator was 93 F

"I would also never run a car without a t-stat as that will cause the engine to wear out prematurely as the engine will run so long below its proper operating temperature. Just like being too hot will cook an engine, being too cool will wear it out as well. There is a reason why motors use t-stats and have more many years....it isn't just to get heat faster."

new age thinking.....what happens when that 195 stat finally opens and the rest of the water is at a huge cooler difference..like 65 degrees vs 195 ....new cars need the heat to run efficient with all the other extra add ons...old cars have a PCV valve at the most and designed for lower temps vs new cars. Both My chevy truck and Jeep run at 220...I'm not running My 67 r/t anywhere's near that....running at 195 is an owner's choice but at the high end of operating temp for an old engine...run your motor longer and hotter with a 195 stat.( which means it most likely won't react until almost 200 or more)..I'll run mine at 180 to 185.