what is top of normal range ??? I get ALOT of flak about old cars running temps....I guess driving them since the early 60's doesn't count with some BUT..old cars don't like high temps like new can handle. When My gauge gets to 200, I start to worry...at 210...I'm getting ready to shut it down. Optimum temp for the old cars is about 185 plus or minus a bit. A t stat is only going to restrict flow at temps under it's rating. I would never run a 195 in an old car...180 is the most and I prefer a 170 as I want coolant circulating as soon as possible. In the 50's...here in WNY, people would actualy remove the stat in the summer. The stat only gets a car to warm the block faster so people can get heat in cold weather sooner. (you can't run a new car without one as I have found)The inner range of a mechanical, stock, 1960's car is the normal operating range after warmup..top center is around 185...the range is a low around 170 to a high of 195 give or take a few. BUT...some claim they are running an old car at temps of 230 + and are very happy...so be it...not this guy

and..ask the guys at the track how there mopar runs at 215+ vs 185 degrees...alot of lost horsepower and engine failure...heat is potentialy the biggest enemy of an engine.