Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A 195 degree stat is the OEM temperature.

what year is the car you are working on and where did you get that info ?

According to my 69 service manual the stock thermo temp is 190 , it's 200 for the 170" /6 .

The car is a 1973 Charger. Both Advace Auto and Rock Auto show a 195 degree stat as OEM temp (what I have). They have 180 and 160 degree units available but they are not OEM temp according to them. Maybe it's an early 70's emissions thing to let the motor run hotter?

I may go to a 180 degree stat but as I understand it, putting in a lower temp stat is not going to fix a cooling issue...it's just a bandaid. Not to say 180 is really a low temp stat but you get what I am saying...

I have an aluminum WP housing and I have pegged it with the IR thermometer when it was warmed up and I have never seen it get above 165 or so around the sender.

However, I can peg it near the distributor and at a few points near the oil pump and it can get 205 or so on a HOT day. With IR thermometer, radiator gets a 30+ degree drop IIRC.

The parts stores temp senders have the WRONG RESISTANCE values.

You need to add resistors in paralel to get them to read right. Use you infared thermometer gun and add/substract resistance. Get a resistor pack from Radio Shack with combination of resistors around 10 ohms.