Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure this will rattle a few cages - oh well. Setting the block deck height to set your quench/combustion chamber/piston clearance is important, as eliminating mechanical interference and checking compression is again, important. Decking a block solely to square it up? More important to help make the intake seal than anything else - don't waste your time or money if you think there's "magic" power there. There probably isn't 5 HP gained by decking the block just to square it up, since most blocks aren't that far off, usually in the .010 range, and cutting only .010 off a block won't change compression enough for a big power gain. You will get the same power increase by a thinner head gasket. So if you are cutting the block to set piston to deck height - whack away. Otherwise there isn't the gain there by trueing the deck to the mains that lot of people seem to believe. I've heard of a lot of people decking blocks, but not equalizing combustion chamber volumes - HUH - whats the difference? Ones just promoted better I guess.

Piston to cylinder head quench is main reason to zero deck... .010 tolerance is unacceptable.

Yeah, I covered THAT. But spending $100 to deck a block just because it is .010 off "square" is probably the worst $100 you will spend in a short block, because it does nothing to improve reliability, nothing to improve repeatibility (bracket racing) and is marginal at best on power increase. You would be better off putting that money towards coated bearings, piston coatings, better springs or pushrods, etc., than decking a block just to square it .010.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........