Quote:

Back when I decided that I wanted to step up my cars performance I wondered the same thing and when word got out among my friends they all said "go with my guy, he's the best". What I did instead was take a couple of seasons and just watch.....watch who was going fast, who was spinning their motors hard and always race ready, meaning they were staying together all year. If there wasnt a sticker on a car of interest I would ask the guy who does his motor work and nothing else. At the end of a couple of seasons the vast majority of cars that fit my criteria were pretty evenly split between 2 shops, and one of them was closing the doors to go work for Reher and Morrison. I went to the other shop, talked with the owner for a bit and went from there. He showed me his shop, but I told him I wouldnt really know much about what you were showing me anyway and that his attitude, personality and reputation had already sold me. 13 years and thousands of rounds later I have zero regrets about my choice. In all those years I had only 2 failures of any kind, and they were parts failures, nothing within his control. All machine shops are gonna tell you "warm fuzzies" to hopefully win your business, but I look at what their product is doing at the track long before I talk with one. Just my .
Ken.

Coming from someone who builds engines, this is very good advice and extremely logical...I am often shocked at why some people choose who they do, and the " razzle dazzle" and dog and poney show some shops put on to get customers.We have a local guy who hasnt ever won a damn thing, but because he has a fast car, guys go to him like he's a King...and it always amazes me...great post..

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.