Quote:

I would assume that the repro tag makers might actually have a tag or two in their hands and didn't just use a picture of one on the internet to design theirs. Every "flaw" pointed out is obvious when placed next to a real one. I mean, it's not like there are none out there for them to compare to . They probably really don't care if its 100%, and if someone actually did, by using their eyes, and an alphabet/number book they could easily get them right, and the codes in the right order.

Grant

I think you're being a little naive; it isn't as easy to "get them right" as you think. There are codes that are used in some plants and not in others, different fonts, options not available on a specific car or combined with other options, options that were available only after (or before) a certain date, VON's and Sequence numbers that need to be in the correct range for a certain VIN, etc. etc. etc.

...in order to make a fake tag that NOBODY could figure out, not only would it have to look correct with the right blank, spacing, font and stamping, but it would have to have none of the mistakes I mentioned. The only people that have a hope at doing a semi-accurate layout are the ones with a huge database of tag info from the plant the car was built at covering the time it was built.

...trust me; they care and if they had the knowledge and skill, they'd LOVE to make their fake tags 100% accurate.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]