Quote:

I see one thing missed on this dicsusion, you have two different field feeds, maybe one of them has a problem on it in the connectors or corrosion or I have seen a bad connector on one of the the feild input wires (It had broken most of the wires at the connector, maybe it had one or two still flowing current, not the entire bunch of wires like it should have been) cause charging problems. The feed wires are 18 gauge if I'm remembering correctly I replaced that connector and it got ALL BETTER Lots of gremlins out there of all kinds for Murphy to use to test us against our troubling shooting skills

I told him by email couple of days ago ( he contacted me ) that it could be one of the brushes making bad contact with rotor trace. Some overheat could melt partially the brush isolator and make an erratic brush contact OR a rotor axle play or bad setting making warp the isolator so then getting stuck the brush inside the isolator. That it happened to me twice with the vertical brush. Thas is a BIG posibility.

BTW, being out of warranty I will fix by myself FIRST. Fortunatelly alternators are cheap and easy fix.

I would begin checking the brushes isolators AND isolation. The psoition where the ammeter senses spikes could be that BY CASUALITY the wire with ground is being plugged on a bad isolator getting then full negative field. And when conecting positive there maybe is not bad enough to cause a short ?

You tell me about bad electronic quality controls... 2 MP chromed ECU boxes, One Ready to run MSD dist ( of a friend of mine ) what was sent for fix to MSD ( overseas ) and returned BAD again... etc...

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela