Quote:

Quote:

I speed read through this post, sorry if duplicate... I did some brief research on this a few years ago, and the deal killer (if you must keep your car legal (and laws may vary)) was that the high pressure tanks have a limited lifespan. The vehicle itself may have years of life left in it, but when the tank certification expired, the vehicle was basically scrap. Replacement tank costs exceeded the value of the vehicle.

The law states in OZ that any pressure vessel (inc vehicle lpg tanks) must be examined for internal rust, dents, welding fatique etc every 10 years and the average cost by a licensed inspector is $200 because the tank has to be removed from the vehicle. Very few tanks fail and the same tank is reuasable for another 10 years once certified and date stamped. Some earlier tanks were stainless steel to save weight but they tended to get damaged easier because they are much thinner and the welds tended to be porous. If a tank fails a test second hand tanks with a fresh certification only cost $300 fitted by a licenced gas fitter. The laws here are very strict and mechanics have to do an intensive course to be able to fit LPG to cars and their work is often subject to random inspections.

Here in Maryland (little California ), I was looking at gov't auctions for mid-90's mopar small block trucks and B-vans and Y2K ish Ferd Crown Vics that were factory set up for LNG. They were basically going for near salvage value because the tanks had expired. I stopped looking at that point, maybe I quit researching too soon. The other HUGE problem here was that only local governments were supporting these vehicles so re-fueling stations were VERY limited, you'd need to drive 20 miles out of your way to fuel up. However, I have also seen regular gas stations in other areas (near Fairmont and Morgantown, West Virginia, IIRC) that were situated close to natural gas production and sold LNG freely to the public. Good if you live in one of these areas.

Scott B. "I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!" 68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph 69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph 01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph