Quote:

Quote:

I have the same issue with my 496" RB stroker. It was a ball at first but really a PITA to cruise in. I changed the headers back to manifolds, de-cammed, took off the 6 pack in favor of a 750 vacuum carb setup on a TM7, replaced the tach drive distributor with a stock vacuum advance unit, pulled the 727 and 3800 convertor in favor of a 4 speed, and replaced the 4.10 with a 3.23. It is a lot more pleasureable now, but I think that I should still change the big valve heads and TM7 out this winter. The "street race" performance has take a major hit, but I haven't honestly had a real street race in 40 years or so.

Drove the stroker to a VFW car show yesterday. About 100 miles round trip. About halfway there, I pulled and plugged the vacuum advance hose. Car ran mucho better at highway speeds (about 2000 rpm). Bucking and surging was minimized, but pulling away from a stop is still rough. Seems that there is no torque at all below 1200RPM. Get the car moving in 1st and it barely moves under its own power until 1200 and then wakes up. I assume that I need to play with the distributor some more. BTW, it actually made about 14MPG yesterday.

You have a hot cam in your engine? If so, you might be on the hairy edge for the vacuum can, possibly causing it to add/remove advance depending on how much vacuum the engine is creating.

383, Hemi 4-Speed, AlterKtion, D60