Moparts

Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize

Posted By: wally426ci

Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 08:07 PM

So i realize that, along with other reasons, I have not driven my 71 Challenger as much since installing a 408 stroker in it about 6 years ago or so.

My car is a 318 car originally and I am thinking of a few options:
a 318 with a bumped up cam to run a 4 barrel
a 340 built to average specs
or use my 360 block with all parts that I can salvage and go back to a "normal" crank with X heads

I am so done with Econo air ports and plan on hopefully running X heads or something similar from pre-71/72 era

I kind of just miss the simple cruise that I get out of my 68 D100 - 318 and sort of get tired of sitting there lumping at red lights. Of course its nice to step on it, but with todays gas prices never coming down, I feel that I'd be just as happy chillin along....

What do you guys think?
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 08:13 PM

There is no way I would ever go back to a putter from a stroker.
Install EFI on it. That will help mileage.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 08:15 PM

I know what you mean. Both my cars have mostly stock motors except for pistons and heads and cam of course.
After driving a 3000HP dragster for over 10 years, I've had enough performance.

I get off on reliability and driving my cars. Yea they sound good and run good, but are not built for the drag strip anymore.

Why can't you drive your 408 like I do my 340?
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 08:16 PM

Quote:

So i realize that, along with other reasons, I have not driven my 71 Challenger as much since installing a 408 stroker in it about 6 years ago or so.

or use my 360 block with all parts that I can salvage and go back to a "normal" crank with X heads

I am so done with Econo air ports and plan on hopefully running X heads or something similar from pre-71/72 era

I kind of just miss the simple cruise that I get out of my 68 D100 - 318 and sort of get tired of sitting there lumping at red lights. Of course its nice to step on it, but with todays gas prices never coming down, I feel that I'd be just as happy chillin along....

What do you guys think?

I can understand that. I say 360 block with some magnum heads, maybe with the 1.625/1.925 valves and other streetable components. My MP 360/300hp crate motor idles and drives very nicely but has plenty of torque when you need it.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 08:40 PM

...you're not alone.
i know a lot of guys who run hi hp engines and nearly all say their next build will be mild or stock.
Posted By: Mopar73340

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 08:49 PM

I don't know your specs but I run my 408 with a mild cam 228-236* iron ram heads air gap intake and 800 avs carb. Gets 17 mpg with the 5 speed while making 500+ ft lb of torque. Still able to cruise at lower rpm with the A/C and power brakes.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 08:52 PM

Quote:

What do you guys think?

What cam did you put in your 408?? Everyone tries to push big cams in these strokers. What exhaust do you have.

I putt around town and run errands in my 416. Starts on one pump with a no choke double pumper, a single plane intake, and open element air cleaner. It's got a comp 274S cam. With a dual plane, 750 vac sec, and stock air cleaner it would be even quieter and smoother..

I've got 1500 miles on it since April.

Here's it idling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8QSTlvdqSs and
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 08:56 PM

Recam and detune the stroker. Unless you are running huge compression it's just a bigger cube engine in the long run.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 09:30 PM

Quote:

What do you guys think?

It's not like 408 is a huge motor. What do I think? I think you're looking at it all wrong; a mild stroker is perfect: good manners and decent power. Change the cam and whatever else you need to to make it more of a mild mannered cruiser.....no need to chop the cubes just to get a mellow ride.

Dave
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 09:33 PM

Maybe you can talk someone into a swap, your 408 and cash for a smaller motor.

-Daty

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 10:57 PM

Quote:

Maybe you can talk someone into a swap, your 408 and cash for a smaller motor.

-Daty

Not me, I love my stock bore and stroke 340.
I put Edlebrock heads on it along with lighter 10.5-1 KB pistons and it runs like a stroker, I think. Compared to the 6 or so 340s that I have run before in this car.
It'll go in extreme conditions, hi in the mountains and in the desert heat. We drive it.

Posted By: buildanother

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 11:15 PM

I think you need to go drag race it at strip if you have not ever taken it. It has always been odd to me that people build those pro street beasts that will not race them.

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 11:18 PM

Pike's Peak?

-Daty

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/22/11 11:20 PM

To the OP, you know what made my car reliable with the stock 5/16" fuel lines? Going back to a mechanical fuel pump. Got rid of all the racing fuel pump and filters and now my car run's and never Vapor locks. This was 10+ years ago when I was running straight race gas. Today with the ethanol fuel it would be even worse.
Racing fuel pumps require large inlet sizes which a stock tank struggles with.
Learn to tune the distrubuter with the carb and that makes a huge difference in drivability also. Even with a big cam most can be made street friendly.
Keep the stroker and tune on it first. Good luck.

Quote:

Pike's Peak?

-Daty

Yes, was there a couple weeks ago. We we're a little closer to heaven.
My little old 340 went right up that huge azz mountain, I tuned for it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 01:53 AM

The most popular engine we build is a 440, KB237's, stock iron heads with stock size plain valves, the SUMMIT 6401 hyd cam ( one of the best street grinds ever made), stock intake, stock stamped rockers--we polish it off with a well tuned distributor, well tuned carb and away it goes! Manifolds or cheap headers and you have an engine that has giant TQ, well over 400 HP and will run like the Ever Ready Bunny! It will MELT tires, tear second gear up and cruise to any spot in the USA with ease. Guys that have them LOVE them! I have built my fair share of big inch inch pump gas monsters and while impressive on the dyno and at the strip it is almost impossible to hook it to the street. The Mopar legend was made with nothing more than that.
My all time favorite is still a 340 4 speed A Body with some gear....so I understand where you are coming from.

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 02:04 AM

Quote:

To the OP, you know what made my car reliable with the stock 5/16" fuel lines? Going back to a mechanical fuel pump. Got rid of all the racing fuel pump and filters and now my car run's and never Vapor locks. This was 10+ years ago when I was running straight race gas. Today with the ethanol fuel it would be even worse.
Racing fuel pumps require large inlet sizes which a stock tank struggles with.
Learn to tune the distrubuter with the carb and that makes a huge difference in drivability also. Even with a big cam most can be made street friendly.
Keep the stroker and tune on it first. Good luck.

Quote:

Pike's Peak?

-Daty

Yes, was there a couple weeks ago. We we're a little closer to heaven.
My little old 340 went right up that huge azz mountain, I tuned for it.

Cool, went up that mountain several years ago on the train, my sister lives up in Florisant (she lives across from the Thunderbird) at 9500 ft. For a flatlander it's tough, really tough. Thanks for the memories.

-Daty
Posted By: Neil

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 02:06 AM

Downsize the cam and convertor. Cheapest way to smooth it out and still have it run good.

I have ridden around in a low budget one with stock edelbrock heads, performer intake, a swap meet 750 afb, and 3:55 gears and it runs 12-teens at over 110mph on narrow street tires. No overheating or anything difficult about it. It uses a lot of gas if you pound on it, but what modified V8 engine doesn't? The owner went from 3:55's to 3:91's out of curiosity and it barely made any difference in et.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 02:09 AM

I have 20,000 miles on my 408, with the comp cams .484 lift 108 lsa cam, 10 to 1, the car has 3.23 rear gear, pump gas diet,well over 100 1/4 mile runs, I would drive that car anywhere. Averages 1.80 60" time,if I put a gear vendors unit in it and it would get better mileage than my jeep liberty.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 02:25 AM

Agree cubes can be your friend with a street friendly engine. With a milder cam and convertor plus possibly a longer rear gear, 3.23 or more, I bet you would love your stroker as a cruiser. If you post current specs I bet you'll get lots of good suggestions.

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 02:37 AM

I'll get some specs together sometime soon. I appreciate all of the responses!!

After all of this time I still have not memorized my cam specs...

I agree that it has alot to do with the converter and cam. I have a permanent exhaust leak too so the heads are 100& gone when I have time and money,

I really need it broken down, checked and get everything documented. I honestly grabbed the block and heads, then the kit and never degreed the cam. I admit that something has to be mismatched. I sit at a red light and it wants to jump slightly even though it has a 2800 stall converter..... Runs great otherwise and has no heat, fuel issues. I probably come down from the 750 edelbrock carb as well.

I like the option of working with what I have for financial purposes. I really need an "engine guy" to go over this puppy in the future and set me straight.

I am running 3:23 suregrip btw.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 02:39 AM

I'll trade you my 360 cu. in. rotating assembly for your 408 cu in rotating assembly.

you keep your block, heads, cam, etc. and I'll keep my block heads and cam (magnum vs presumably, an LA based build on your end?)

you'll get streetability of a stock stroke engine, I get a 408.

win-win!!! (my 360 magnum is fresh, zero miles)
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 03:15 AM

While my 414 has a real rough idle it is smoother and quieter when cruising due to being balanced and a properly matched combo. I also run a 2500 stall converter and it does not need more than that. Go back to stock stroke? Not me. I would cam your stroker for street manners if that is what you want. Then you will have the torque of a stroker with the mild manners you are seeking. For a street car a stroker is the way to go. Torque to get that heavy car off the line without the need for big gears, big converters, or big cams.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 06:56 AM

Just put a smaller cam in it and maybe a smaller carb. We used a small roller cam in Tim's 427 small block with a 650 Holley carb. Sure it gave up some top end power, but it idles smooth at 800 rpm and still rips the snot out ya when you stomp on it.

The cam I used was about 20 degrees smaller than what the internet experts suggested. The carb was also a ton smaller than what people recommended. I knew that if I followed the normal advice I'd end up with a lumpy, peaky motor that fouled plugs and wasn't any fun to drive.

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 12:10 PM

It definitely helps me to get feedback from everyone.

I will openly take recommendations on cam specs here. I went from a Racer brown cam to a Comp cam. I hear good things about Lunati.

I like the sound of keeping my existing parts for the most part.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsi - 08/23/11 12:12 PM

Quote:

Recam and detune the stroker. Unless you are running huge compression it's just a bigger cube engine in the long run.

Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 01:00 PM

I have the same issue with my 496" RB stroker. It was a ball at first but really a PITA to cruise in. I changed the headers back to manifolds, de-cammed, took off the 6 pack in favor of a 750 vacuum carb setup on a TM7, replaced the tach drive distributor with a stock vacuum advance unit, pulled the 727 and 3800 convertor in favor of a 4 speed, and replaced the 4.10 with a 3.23. It is a lot more pleasureable now, but I think that I should still change the big valve heads and TM7 out this winter. The "street race" performance has take a major hit, but I haven't honestly had a real street race in 40 years or so.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

It definitely helps me to get feedback from everyone.

I will openly take recommendations on cam specs here. I went from a Racer brown cam to a Comp cam. I hear good things about Lunati.

I like the sound of keeping my existing parts for the most part.

I think you need to state exactly what cam you have now to use as a benchmarks of what you don't want.

Still, this is all assuming the car has some decent tune right now. And that it's the cam that's making it rough as opposed to a bad tune, bad part, or something that needs to be repaired.
Posted By: rapom

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 09:46 PM

Jeff Patterson built me a nice mild 408 stroker (.484 lift) for my 68 Charger. It is the wifes car so it had to be street friendly. I run A/C, and Power Steering, a nice street friendly edelbrock 800 and it only has a 2.94 gear. I took it to the track once and got a 13.28 out of it. I think it would run a 12.90 if I worked at it. Starts up nice in the cold and doesn't have a rich exhaust smell. Drove it up to the Woodword Dream cruise from Ohio and at 70mph, it was at a reasonable rpm. Keep your engine and change the cam and a few other things and you will enjoy the torque.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 09:51 PM

if You do the math on gas mileage alone, You aren't saving much and what's the recovery cost down sizing to a "PUTTER". I had a 498 stroker and it lumped at lights but pulled away without hesitation and NEVER lost a street drag to anything. I'm kicking Myself for getting rid of it. My 2 cents on life and old hot cars is " if it looks good;it BETTER haul ass" 318 is a nice dependable motor but a boat anchor for drags. (that should open up another topic)

SO...My next car will not have a 498 stroker.....512 is on the horrizon......hmmmm....can You say "neck snap"...lol
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/23/11 10:31 PM

Quote:

Jeff Patterson built me a nice mild 408 stroker (.484 lift) for my 68 Charger. It is the wifes car so it had to be street friendly. I run A/C, and Power Steering, a nice street friendly edelbrock 800 and it only has a 2.94 gear. I took it to the track once and got a 13.28 out of it. I think it would run a 12.90 if I worked at it. Starts up nice in the cold and doesn't have a rich exhaust smell. Drove it up to the Woodword Dream cruise from Ohio and at 70mph, it was at a reasonable rpm. Keep your engine and change the cam and a few other things and you will enjoy the torque.

Just put in a soild lifter cam from him, very happy,very nice guy
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/24/11 03:06 PM

Maybe you just need a real good tune on it.

Maybe pitch that 750 for a better design. Never read about anyone happy with them. 800AVS?
Posted By: b5a12bee

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/25/11 04:28 AM

I love my 408, it has a small hydrolic roller cam with indy max heads with 3.73 gears. Runs very strong and very street frienly.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/25/11 03:52 PM

yeah, most people suggest too much duration for a stroker that is going to be used on the street, IMHO

dump the 750 eddie, I'd go with an 800 eddie, or a demonsizzler built t-quad. I know on my 360, I gained a ton of drivability and 2" of idle vaccuum switching from the 750 eddie to a 600. there's a lot of info on the web of people never getting the 750 to run good...sounds like there's a flaw in the design of the internal passages of that carb

intake, Eddie RPM or air gap for a square bore carb, probably a eddie LD340 modded for the t-quad, if you can't find one, probably a weiand action plus, or maybe an M1 single plane (hard to find good spead bore mopar intakes)

for a cam, I'd use the lunati voodoo 60403 if you want to stick to a flat tappet.

fresh heads, a good 5 angle VJ, maybe some home porting opening up the bowls and pushrod pinch

should have a very strong, yet mellow engine that should idle at 800 RPM with probably 14" vaccuum
Posted By: 75DART440

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/26/11 04:44 AM

Stick a stock 318 back in!! I am willing to trade you 2 for your stroker, even up. And I will deliver!!!

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/26/11 03:53 PM

Too funny.

I am years away from taking it off the road as our 2nd daughter is due in October.

I am leaning toward downsizing the carb, changing heads, cam, converter.

Right now I am running a 68 340 cast iron intake.
Posted By: Menzaero

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/27/11 02:50 AM

Keep the stroker - I have a mild 418 in my Dart with good performance and 14 to 15 MPG if I keep my foot out of it crusing around town.

10.1 CR (Ross 16cc Dish Pistons)
800 AVS Edelbrock on a Performer RPM
X-Heads (69.3cc) and stock exhaust
XE 274H Comp Cam (230/236 - .488/.491)
3:55 Gear

Here is a Youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrKBbVmQVf0
Posted By: ahy

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/27/11 03:41 AM

Quote:

Too funny.

I am years away from taking it off the road as our 2nd daughter is due in October.

I'm just curious... what is the issue with the heads? What's the benefit of changing?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/27/11 05:47 AM

Quote:

I'm just curious... what is the issue with the heads? What's the benefit of changing?

I want to know as well. Heads won't make that much difference on the final driveability you seek.

I agree with everyone else, you need to pick a proper cam, install and degree it and you should be fine. I drove my 440 car everywhere before I pulled it apart and it was no problem.
Posted By: hunterstroble

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/27/11 05:51 AM

What about fuel injecting it? Just a thought.
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/27/11 08:19 AM

Did you consider swapping to a late model hemi (5.7/6.1)? You would get EFI and excellent driveability, as well as good mileage. As a bonus, with the 6.1 you would get the same or more power! It will bolt right in with readily available parts. I've done it, no regrets!

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/27/11 10:32 PM

I have a permanent exhaust leak from a reworked exhaust port. I also can't rule out that one of the "air" ports is leaking. It sounds like someone is brushing thier F-ing teeth under the hood.

I am 100% throwing them in the trash when i swap them. I just can't wait to rip the car apart and paint it and get the motor worked out.

Quote:

Quote:

Too funny.

Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/27/11 11:36 PM

Quote:

318 is a nice dependable motor but a boat anchor for drags. (that should open up another topic)

my 318 pushed my 4,000 lb Dakota to a 14.61 last week. take some weight out and mix'n'match my best 60' time, I know it's got a 14.5, maybe a 14.4 in it!

yup. boat anchors! probably would push a lowly A-body deep into the 13s!

(in fact the 318 is so horrible, I can't wait to yank it out for a 360.)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/27/11 11:56 PM

Quote:

The most popular engine we build is a 440, KB237's, stock iron heads with stock size plain valves, the SUMMIT 6401 hyd cam ( one of the best street grinds ever made), stock intake, stock stamped rockers--we polish it off with a well tuned distributor, well tuned carb and away it goes! Manifolds or cheap headers and you have an engine that has giant TQ, well over 400 HP and will run like the Ever Ready Bunny! It will MELT tires, tear second gear up and cruise to any spot in the USA with ease. Guys that have them LOVE them! I have built my fair share of big inch inch pump gas monsters and while impressive on the dyno and at the strip it is almost impossible to hook it to the street. The Mopar legend was made with nothing more than that.
My all time favorite is still a 340 4 speed A Body with some gear....so I understand where you are coming from.

Nice to know I'm not the only one doing this!

I built one for my 'Cuda exactly like what you described and drove it everywhere! I've recently built a second one that is almost the same for my '63.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/28/11 01:35 AM

wow I dont know about all this I have a 14-1 416 race motor with a solid roller with 267/272 @ .050 with 690 lift it idles nicely at 900rpm and I could drive this on the street all day with 0 problems.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/28/11 01:13 PM

Quote:

I have the same issue with my 496" RB stroker. It was a ball at first but really a PITA to cruise in. I changed the headers back to manifolds, de-cammed, took off the 6 pack in favor of a 750 vacuum carb setup on a TM7, replaced the tach drive distributor with a stock vacuum advance unit, pulled the 727 and 3800 convertor in favor of a 4 speed, and replaced the 4.10 with a 3.23. It is a lot more pleasureable now, but I think that I should still change the big valve heads and TM7 out this winter. The "street race" performance has take a major hit, but I haven't honestly had a real street race in 40 years or so.

Drove the stroker to a VFW car show yesterday. About 100 miles round trip. About halfway there, I pulled and plugged the vacuum advance hose. Car ran mucho better at highway speeds (about 2000 rpm). Bucking and surging was minimized, but pulling away from a stop is still rough. Seems that there is no torque at all below 1200RPM. Get the car moving in 1st and it barely moves under its own power until 1200 and then wakes up. I assume that I need to play with the distributor some more. BTW, it actually made about 14MPG yesterday.
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/28/11 01:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Drove the stroker to a VFW car show yesterday. About 100 miles round trip. About halfway there, I pulled and plugged the vacuum advance hose. Car ran mucho better at highway speeds (about 2000 rpm). Bucking and surging was minimized, but pulling away from a stop is still rough. Seems that there is no torque at all below 1200RPM. Get the car moving in 1st and it barely moves under its own power until 1200 and then wakes up. I assume that I need to play with the distributor some more. BTW, it actually made about 14MPG yesterday.

You have a hot cam in your engine? If so, you might be on the hairy edge for the vacuum can, possibly causing it to add/remove advance depending on how much vacuum the engine is creating.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/28/11 07:36 PM

Rather than throw big money at it. Check the simple things first. Probably pitch that carb too.

Put a really good tune on it. Got a dyno nearby?

Re: Getting sick of the stroker - question about downsize - 08/29/11 01:21 AM

Quote:

Rather than throw big money at it. Check the simple things first. Probably pitch that carb too.

Put a really good tune on it. Got a dyno nearby?

No but i'll be hunting one down!
© 2024 Moparts Forums