Built another 440 to put in another car Im building. That car isnt finished so I stuck it in my car. Due to being pissed, gunshy, sick, etc of burning up cups, I made damm sure on this motor that the cam bearing was in the right place, no obstructions in the block or heads, etc. I also filled the feed holes for the tips on the rockers...and also cut a connecting groove in the rockers from the oil band to the feed hole to the cup. Checked on the stand and oil was gushing out of the back of the rockers....Plenty of oil to the top.......

Get the cam broke in, set lash again. Drive it, 20 or so miles. Hear a noise under both valve covers. Praying its just the rockers. (A little loose on side clearance). Drive 30 or so more miles and decide to put the inner springs back in. 50 FLIPPIN miles. 2 cups toasted and another showing signs of heat. All 3 on exhaust...same deal as my other motor. Most of the problems with it were on exhaust. A few intakes showed heat, but never blued very bad. These 3 are burnt to a crisp....worst Ive had so far. #1 exhaust was burnt....OK...maybe I was loosing too much oil from the excessive side clearance in the rockers. But, on the other side, #4 was cooked, and #8 showed signs of heat. So, that blew my first thought...

The oil in the car is a mixture of old rotella and oil that a local shop has formulated for them, for dyno use. Id say 2k or more PPM of zinc.

Spring pressure was only 300 or so open, nothing close to heavy. Cam is only a XE282S, puny little thing...

Old style Hughes rockers, which I think are the same as the blue indy rockers...

I noticed on the stand that the pushrods were a hair too short. Id say they need to be .050 or so longer, but they arent super short. Again, I'll say that the X amount of threads sticking out of the adjuster is meaningless. I have 1.5 sticking out and it probably needs to be 0 out, but cmon....

So, what have I missed??

I have a set of HS rockers that are going on next...I keep hearing run the HS, it will fix your problems...I guess we will flippin see...

Any ideas welcomed!! I'll even take a few sticks of dynomite..

72 RR, Pump gas 440, 452s, 3800 lbs, Corked, ET Radials,. 11.33@117.72. Same car, bone stock 346s, 9.5 comp, baby solid. 12.24@110.