Quote:

Quote:

Had no response in the Q&A section so I'll try here !
Any tips on installing the rear main seal on a 340 ? I'm getting tired of oil leaks. 3rd time fixing this. I can't tell if it's the rear main or the oil pan gasket that's leaking. It drips off the bell housing. Oil sending unit is dry. Can't see the cam plug. The rubber seal on the rear had a tear about a 1/2" at the top right side when I pulled the pan out. The clutch hasn't started slipping yet. would too much oil preasure cause an oil leak ? 90 psi @ start up and about 50 when hot at idle. I know too much preasure will expand the oil filter or blow it apart.

Thats a fairly high oil pressure(more than I would
run).... check the crank in the seal area REAL good
I also put a dab of silicone at the edge of the seals
before I place the cap on

I took the oil pump out and removed some of the washers I added to bump up the preasure. I primed it in the vice and now the oil guage reads 75 psi cold with 10 w 30. I usually install main seal with a dab of oil on it and slightly stagger it with 1/2" of the seal sticking out of the block then 1/2" of the seal sticking up on the opposite side of the cap. Then dab the ends with silicone along with the corners of the pan. Maybe the oil on the seal is part of the problem ? And I may have torn the rubber oil pan seal on last install. That was my main concern to use oil or silicone when installing main seal ? Thanks Mr P