Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The CH of the KB400 is 1.908 , the CH of the 2315 is 1.920.

What I meant by inefficient is the dome impedes flame travel across the chamber , a flat top doesn't . I am building a 383 based stroker with 12.5 compression and the only way to do it was either cut the bleep out of the heads or use a small dome , I chose the dome , should have cut the heads

What is the CH of a stock 383 piston? I can't remember but I thought it was less than the KB400 1.908.

I understand what you mean by the dome "getting in the way"....but how does that affect your car? Decreased performance? Gas Mileage? I was looking at getting the dome to help with CR since everyone was saying 9.5:1 wasn't enough for that cam. The dome would put it about 10:1.

Depends on the year engine but the stock CH of the 68-69 383 HP (which is what i base all my on ) , and 68-69 2bbl for that matter , is 1.932 , this puts the piston .0025 in the hole on a factory deck height, the 2bbl piston has a dish. as delivered the HP was 9.2 at best. I've gone 100mph in the 1/4 with a 56K worn HP engine with a timing chain so loose it could be removed without taking off the gears ... almost... so it's not as bad as we are lead to believe.

One of the mags did an article on installing ebrocks on a 383 , they THOUGHT they had a piston close to factory CH. But when they pulled the heads it had low compression cast replacements, they were something like .050 plus below the deck , the engine was not the DOG they thought it would be, food for thought .

In the grand scheme of things you will probably not notice any difference with the KB400 so just ignore what I said about inefficiency .

Thanks for this info

Ok, this is my final plan from the best I can tell from the input on here and what's available to me in the real world...

1) The cam: I am going to save the XE 274 for a future 440.

2) I am going to buy an XE268...will this work with the 3.23's AND 2500 stall? 9.5-10:1 CR ok with this cam?

3) I did some calculations....I looked up the stock deck height (this engine was never apart either) I got 9.98 IIRC. I took the rod length + the SpeedPro's CH of 1.920 + HALF of the 3.375 stroke, subtracted from the favtory deck height spec and....from my calculations.. am ASSuming the 2315 pistons to be .0145 in the hole. So...I think I will use these pistons AND chop .010" off the block...AND machine the intake to fit...if need be...then I'll do a mock up on one cylinder to check valve clearance.

4) I am going with the .039" head gasket...not the steel shim.

5) What would work better for a carb...the 650 or 750 Edelbrock Thunder Series now that I am giving in and going with the smaller cam?

I know how to assemble the main/head bolts....just never did a 383...and probably never will again