Old school tech is really cool but the reason the newer cams are so much more popular is TQ and drivability for a given performance number. For example most of the fast cars with .509 cams are running 3000 stall converters and 4.10 or lower gears, the newer faster rate cams will run just as fast but can do it with 3.55 gears and 2500 converters. They will also get better MPG and idle better, if you want a crappy idle you just order it with a little tighter LSA and still get more TQ MPG and need less gears to run the same or better ET.

I have used the .509 cam in motors I have built but the guy is running a 340 with 4.56 gears a tunnel ram and wants to turn 7000 RPM and does not care about a specific HP or ET he just wants a crappy idle and lots of RPM potential and a high rate of lift cam will make more power but not have the RPM potential, he just wants to see a high number on the tach with a hydro flat tappet cam

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!